Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

difficulty loading t/c omega

Old 02-15-2005, 02:43 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: difficulty loading t/c omega

I would avoid using a lapping compound at first as you could end up with breaking in being more equal to premature wear.
Goodness, you know how much shooting it takes to wear a muzzleload barrel? Alot. It ain't like a 300RUM or 223WSSM. I observe wear carefully with a hawkeye borescope. Ask one shot on here. some of those savage guys push JB's thru 2000 strokes! The only think I ruined a barrel with is firelapping in a centerfire. Rounded off the rifling cleanly. Quite disappointing.

Also, isn't butches an ammonia base solvent? Won't have much effect on plastic fouling will it? Just curious cause of the windex idea people do. I don't, just wondering ammonia is good for powder to instead of copper.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Hey BC,
Good points.
I also agree that lapping a barrel is not that difficult and wearing out a barrel should take a very long time. But should that be done right out of the box?

Use of a lapping compound is not what I would consider for at novice. You can screw up your barrel if lapping is not done correctly.

My point is, I would just make sure new barrel is really clean first. Then followed with good maintenance and shooting procedures. Then if still having loading trouble or accuracy issues, then lapping would likely be the next step.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 AM
bigcountry

You know I have yet to use any type of solution beside one bottle of the knight stuff, then regular ole dawn.

If there are any advantages to using one solution or the other, I would like to know. Pretty open minded guy when learning new things about the dreaded cleaning.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not 100% sure. I've honestly never had faith in the "Black Powder" cleaners. And they are worthless with packing lubes from shipping, rust, plastic, copper and lead fouling.

Laundry or dish soap and the hottest water works great for BP fouling.

I've been using Butch's Bore Shine on everything. Not all the time, every time I clean.
Only on a new rifle to get the packing lube out, or if I notice pastic or bullet fouling. Or on a barrel on a used rifle that has some rust.

I use BBS on average every 100 or so shots in a barrel to keep fouling a non-issue.

I'm ultra meticulous on cleaning and really don't end up with issues.

The natural lubes work excellent for patch & ball and conicals.
But I am not convinced that they displace moisture for long term storage.

Thus, I always used oils like hoppe's & remoil in the old days, Breakfree CLP for years. And now using OTIS U series lubes for storage.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 AM

I guess i just got lucky with my Omega. 50 cal stainless, and I can get 3 shots in it without swabbing. Its not that hard to load. Never tried it, but some people say it helps to put a tiny drop of oil on your finger and rub it on the base of the sabot.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Spike

Difficult loading of a second shot forced me to make a change. I shoot 300grain SST's at the range, (swabbing with a spit patch after each shot) During Inline season I start with the SST and use a 295grain Powerbelt for a follow-up if needed, they shoot almost identical to the SST at 50 and 100 yards and are easier to load that second shot.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PAPRIG

Difficult loading of a second shot forced me to make a change. I shoot 300grain SST's at the range, (swabbing with a spit patch after each shot) During Inline season I start with the SST and use a 295grain Powerbelt for a follow-up if needed, they shoot almost identical to the SST at 50 and 100 yards and are easier to load that second shot.
I shoot exactly the same combination when hunting. This year I shot an elk with the SST and put a second one in with the 295gr. Powerbelt. Only difference from you is that I do not swab between shots but I am shooting Black Mag'3 which does not require it and my accuracy is good without the swab.