Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sweet, >Shot My new Omega today

Old 09-08-2002, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sweet, >Shot My new Omega today

At fifty yards with open sights 2 inch patterns and when I mounted the 3 x 9 Bushnell scope at 100 yards 2 inch patterns also.It is light ,great balance and easy to load and clean.I was using 295 grain sabots and 2 50 grain powder thingys and 209 primers.It is a stainless barrel with a composite stock
Old 09-08-2002, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Sweet, >Shot My new Omega today

Cool! I heard that is a really nice gun. I was ready to get rid of my .54 cal thunderhawk until I started using tripple 7 and Barnes sabots. Now all is right with the world. If you try the tripple 7, you will never use pyrodex again. Sorry to be so excited, but I have been trying to dump pyrodex for 3 years and now I finally found something better!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have been reading that the 3-7 has some rather nasty fouling tendancies. Still require the cleaning between shots, caking and hard load of 2nd and 3rd rounds. Guys even noticing the rod not going back to same mark (residue build-up) I stuck with the cleanshot and the powerbelts, no problem. The plus I have read is that the 3-7 eeks out a bit more velocity with like weight over the cleanshot. Has this been your experience as well
Old 09-09-2002, 10:25 AM

Well, I have had none of the reported fouling problems with the Tripple 7. Part of this might be because I am not using bore butter anymore and am using barnes sabots dry in a clean dry barrel. I scrub briefly between shots with a dry patch to remove plastic fouling but I have experienced less powder fouling than I did with Pyrodex. And the fact that I can clean up at the end of the day with just a couple damp patches followed with a couple dry patches makes it even sweeter.. And the best part is there is very little smell at all and no sulfer smell. I have also found accuracy to be excellent, but again I just switched loads and also went from a #11 nipple to a musket flame thrower nipple and am now getting close to 100% powder burn. I was using bore butter and Great Plains bullets before. The bullet lube resulting in much more powder fouling and way too much leading of the barrel. And another thing is that my 1:38 twist Thunderhawk shoot barnes 325 grain sabots great.. I can shoot a cloverleaf at 50 yards... The fast twist thing for sabots is overrated IMO. Tripple 7 claims to be 15% more energy at the same volume as pyrodex. I haven't run it over a chro so I don't know. Doesn't feel like it, but I just went from 425 grain great plains bullets to 325 grain barnes sabots so it feels more managable to me..

Edited by - clearanceman on 09/09/2002 11:28:47
Old 09-09-2002, 12:09 PM

CLEARANCEMAN DID YOU EVER TRY THE BARNES 325 GRAIN SABOT WITH PYRODEX SELECT?I HAVE A THUNDERHAWK 54 CAL. IT SEMS TO GROUPE WELL WITH THE PERCISION POLY TIP SABOTS IN 350 GRAIN. PERCISION CHART SAY TO SHOOT THE 300 GRAIN SABOT ,BUT THE GUN WILL NOT SHOOT IT .WITH THE PERCISION SABOT AND 100 GRAIN OF PYRODEX SELECT @ A NO 11 MAG CAP GROUPS AT THE 100 YARD TARGET STAY AT 2 INCH OR LESS ON PAPER.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:18 PM

No, I haven't tried the same load with Pyrodex select. I am shooting 100 grains of Tripple 7 which is SUPPOSED to be like 115 of pyrodex. Who knows if it really is or not?? Anyway, does Pyrodex select have sulfer in it? If so, I would rather not use it. I hate the smell of sulfer and the corrosive properties, but mostly the smell. I am getting very little powder fouling with the tripple 7..
Old 09-09-2002, 12:21 PM

if you lived next door, I would give you a few barnes 375 grain Sabots and you could try it in your .54 with the pyrodex select. It would be kind of neat to see if they worked well. I suspect they would...You would have to buy a pack to test though. I ordered 50 from cabellas for $52 shipped...
Old 09-09-2002, 06:51 PM

Lonewolf, I get a kick out of people that say a 1:38 twist gun cannot shoot sabots! And you are getting under 2inches at 100 yards, excellent! A tech at TC told me that they went to 1:28 mostly due to popularity of the fast twist guns. They found 1:38 to be adequate for the most part. They also pointed out the faster twist is harder to clean.. My buddy with a knight at 1:22 can attest to that...
Old 09-09-2002, 08:42 PM

sounds good CD,post some pic's.and be sure to post some pic's. of that first deer with it.

congrats on the gun , someone really likes you.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:05 AM

clearanceman.going this week to the range with the 54cal. and I am going to try 333 grain harvester solid sabot.yes to your question pyrodex select is corrosive.but on the other hand they say the triple 777 is also.have you had any problems with removing the nipple fron your gun when using the triple 777.some guy who have use the 777 say so.and thanks for that offer on the barnes bullet .

Quick Reply: Sweet, >Shot My new Omega today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.