Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle

Old 02-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle

Briman it seems this is a very common problem with Lyman rifles. I have now talked to a number of Lyman owners who all reported the same thing. Lymans owner manual suggest getting a "jewlery file" and on the right escutcheon plate take a small amount of metal out of the inside top. Then on the left escutcheon plate put a 45º bevel on the upper inside until the wedge slide in securly...

It would seem if this is a common problem on their assembled rifles they should be taking care of this problem at the factory. That was the reason I did not order a kit because I did not want to work on a rifle right now.

I did go out to the shop and made a steel wedge pin and put a slight bend in it. It holds the barrel perfect. I do not want to bend the brass wedge so I will wait until I get time to fix the escutcheon plates the correct way. Although I do like the way the rifle handles.....
Old 02-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle

I took the rifle out today to try some other things...

I installed some buckhorn sights on the Trade Rifle and decided to put the charge to 100 grains of Goex FFg and a .530 home casted roundball with a moosemilk pillow tick .018 patch. I hit low with the first shot, then adjusted the sight. The rest were all right...

I had also wanted to try some powerbelts in the Trade Rifle. So I loaded 85 grains of Goex FFg and gave some 405 grain .54 caliber copper jacketed HP powerbelts a try.... The recoil was real easy to notice.. All shooting was done from a bench rest at 30 yards....

Next time out I have some sabots I want to try out of the rifle... I also have some other conicals coming to the house to try... Should be an interesting summer.

The interesting part today was there were light snow flurries from time to time. I wanted to see how well the ignition would act with snow flurries... Well this rifle shot great. The lock time was fast and sure all but once, and that was shot #8 with a powerbelt. The last shot of the day. This flint had over 35 shots off it without any knapping and I was kind of expecting the thing to act up. Shot #8 had a slight delay but still went off reasonably well.