Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST Speed Load?

Old 12-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornady SST Speed Load?

Anyone use these? I got 20 in the stocking from " Santa". I usually use powerbelts, but I am ready to try something new. So they shoot good?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST Speed Load?

I am a Hornady user.
The Speed Loaders are really are not worth the money and a true "dud" product.

That said, the SST projectile however is outstanding in my view.

The Hornady SST in the boxes of 20 are the exact same projectile only you get 20 for the price of 10 of the "Speedloaders".

I was given two 10ct packages of the SST 300gr "speed loader" version earlier this year to try out. They shoot very well indeed and are very deadly. I've killed several deer this season with zero run after the shot.
I tried the first 10 with two and then three 777 50gr pellets. Worked just as advertised with exception to the "speed loading" part.
I normally shoot loose powder so I cut the "stems" off of the bottom of sabot of the remaining 10 and they shot even better over loose 777.

As far as the "speed loader" feature, this is really not a feature in my view.

"Speed loading" in the ML world, is really impossible and more marketing fluff than anything. The hype is to equate ML's to cartidge/magazine weapons with "quick reloading" advantages. Rediculous. It's muzzleloading not "spray-n-pray".

Granted, there are combinations that do allow faster loading as in the powerbelts, but just how much time are you really saving is the real question? Not much as with sabots, often you need to swab 1-4 times between shots depending on your weapon tolerances, powder used and so on to ensure good loading and accuracy.
Hornady even recommends swabbing in between shots.

Plus a short bullet starter is often needed to get things heading in the right direction.
I use both the Knight 50cal Speed Loading tubes for pellets and the T/C 50cal speed loading tubes with pre-measured powder with the bullet in the bottom. Works fine and speedy. After your barrel is ready to be loaded, dump in the powder or pellets, seat the bullet/sabot, use your short starter, then your rod to seat things all the way down.

Enjoy the "speed loaders" and then if you still like the SST, go with the boxes of 20.

my .02,