Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

question from PA early fall muzzellloader doe season

Old 12-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default question from PA early fall muzzellloader doe season

i'de like to shoot sabot encircled spitzer style bullets from my .50 cal. FLINTLOCK but , can i do that and still use regular black powder ???
would a patch still need to be used behind the sabot , infront of the powder ???? or would i have to start useing the round pellets ????
if i have to start useing pellets , how do i still use the flash powder , the same way as with the black powder charge ?????

remember , this is in reference for next years PA early fall muzzelloader doe season.

please let me know

whelen36 ,
Stephen D.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: question from PA early fall muzzellloader doe season

Of course you can shoot a sabot from your flintlock. The question is, will the load be accurate. Some rifles just will not stabalize a sabot enough to get good accuracy. All you can do is try them.

Next, you do not need to shoot pellets. In fact, with your flintlock I would recommend using Goex Black Powder as my main charge no matter what you shoot. Black powder has a lower ignition point meaning it will fire with less spark then the modern synthetic powders. Why not use something that is made for the rifle...Use Goex.

As for the pan flash still continue to use Goex FFFg or FFFFg as your priming powder. I personally use 4f with great results. I use 3f Goex as the main charge.

Personally, if the flintlock will shoot roundball or conical accurate, why change to a sabot? Your dropping down to a smaller projectile and actually unless your shooting a modern flintlock like a PA Pellet or T/C Firestorm you best accuracy will probably come from a roundball. Roundballs are an excellent deer hunting projectile. Put that roundball in the right place and it will kill a deer just as dead as a sabot..

Good luck with your rifle. Practice with the most accurate possible projectile and shot placement is the key to all the hunting problems you will encounter....
Old 12-24-2004, 01:35 AM

whelen36 : try the t/c cheap shot 240 grain lead bullet/sabot
Old 12-24-2004, 03:23 AM

Whlen, Rumor has it, that there will be No Early Killing of Does next Year, in Early ML Season. And the Commission is suppose to go back to a 3 Day Doe Season. If true you will have to use your Load in the General Rifle Season. Good Hunting!

Remember that the Early Muzzle Loader Season, was only suppose to last as Long as Doe Population remained High, and to be Curtailed Once the Goal has been reached.Apparently a Reduction of over 40% in the Doe Herd was enough, and besides the Numbers, the Hunters are getting a Little Tired of the Plan , and darn near ready to Riot over this Deer Cleansing by the Stupid Arses at the Game Commission.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

better not take the early doe season away.....goto a huntingpas msg board.....i bet alot of guys cry about that.....except the die hard bow hunters taht hate the early gun seasons.....simple thing to do is for them not to give out so many doe tags.....that way only so many can be bought...and only so many could be used.....ill be kinda upset if they take away the early season....i like that season.....wish we could take bucks though...should be an early flintlock hunt....buck or doe...post that on the pa msg board....and many will agree with that too........the inline hunting though......i can see how that might impact the numbers.....should kept it all flintlock....or sidelock only....anyone can use an inline....and a scope.....and drop deer as far as they can with their rifles.......but i have yet to see that rumor on the PA msg board.....and them guys cry about anyhting and sometimes i think they make stuff up to say they heard just to talk........its bad on that board....ever since october........bow hunters saying theres no deer.........i love the guys that cry saying theres no deer....but yet they are out hunting....with their doe tags....shooting anyhting they see......if theres a lack of deer in your area you only hurt it more by taking the one deer you did see!!!!!!!! idiots........i cant stand it....
Old 12-25-2004, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

better not take the early doe season away.....goto a huntingpas msg board.....i bet alot of guys cry about that.....except the die hard bow hunters taht hate the early gun seasons.....simple thing to do is for them not to give out so many doe tags.....that way only so many can be bought...and only so many could be used.....ill be kinda upset if they take away the early season....i like that season.....wish we could take bucks though...should be an early flintlock hunt....buck or doe...post that on the pa msg board....and many will agree with that too........the inline hunting though......i can see how that might impact the numbers.....should kept it all flintlock....or sidelock only....anyone can use an inline....and a scope.....and drop deer as far as they can with their rifles.......but i have yet to see that rumor on the PA msg board.....and them guys cry about anyhting and sometimes i think they make stuff up to say they heard just to talk........its bad on that board....ever since october........bow hunters saying theres no deer.........i love the guys that cry saying theres no deer....but yet they are out hunting....with their doe tags....shooting anyhting they see......if theres a lack of deer in your area you only hurt it more by taking the one deer you did see!!!!!!!! idiots........i cant stand it....
......if theres a lack of deer in your area you only hurt it more by taking the one deer you did see!!!!!!!! idiots........i cant stand it....
Old 12-25-2004, 12:09 PM

Mauser06,your last quote hit the nail right on the head.