Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c hawken

Old 12-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default t/c hawken

I was wonderin if any of you guys shoot or know anyone who shoots a T/C hawken 50 cal flintlock. I was wonderin what kinda groups you guys shoot and how far. I'm shootin 85 gr of triple f and aint doing to bad out to 40yds but haven't tried ne farther yet. So if you guys could fill me in how you guys do with this gun and how many grains of powder you shoot i would greatly appreciate it
Old 12-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: t/c hawken

I'm sorry fellas but I'm shooting a Renegade not the Hawken..
Old 12-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a T/C .50 caliber Hawkins Flintlock. The Renegade has 2" shorter barrel is all. I have been shooting 75 grains of Goex FFFg and a patched roundball also some 245 grain Ball-et with excellent results.

I am still learning the art of flintlocks, so I have never really been shooting for extreme groups yet. Now one fellow on this board named Roundball is a T/C flintlock expert in my opinion. When I have problems this is who I ask. I am sure he will comment here, and answer all your questions....
Old 12-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have the tc 50cal hawken flinter....had it for over a year now....my tightest groups been with 90gr of 2fg goex and a .10 patch and a .490 hornady ball...somewehre inbetween 50-75yds i can punch groups that are touching or pretty dang close......i cheated....i put on tcs fancy fiber optic sights....i dont have GREAT eyes...and the original all metal black ones werent working for me......killed a groundhog at 45yds with that load.....he was sitting at the top of his hole...i shot him like a deer.....right behind the shoulder......hit right there and he never moved.....hit another one at 10yds standing freehand.....walking through the field and he stood up......hit him right in the throat......he never moved........thats my accuracy load....and killing load.....hope to get a deer or2 or 3 or 4 with it this coming late season.....everyones always telling me how inaccurate flintlocks are.....i thought my first groups ever were a accident till i kept on stacking them in there.....i love it......
Old 01-03-2005, 06:15 PM

I'm shooting a 50. I've used it every year since 1979. My best groups are with 370 grain maxie balls and 90 grains of 2f powder out to 50 yds. I,ve tried round balls, sabots, and cones; and powder from 65 grains to 120 with all. over 50 yds I got better results with round balls and 100 grains of powder. My brother had three 50's 1 Hawken & 2 Renagades and we got different results with all 4 guns, though all seemed to do better with the maxie balls out to 50 yd, about the same with maxie & rounds to 75yd and better at 100 yd with the round. Try different loads and powders with them. With some guns it seems to vary a lot. I know a lot of people swear by the newer ammo but both my brother & I had trouble with plastic fouling in our TCs