Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting

Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting

I think you get the gest of your original post...NO!

As to which combos will perform best just like a Centrefire, Shotgun or Bow you'll have to find the accuracy combo and the only way is Trial and Error. I would suggest starting around 90 grs loose and moving up by 5's or if you want to shoot pellets try 2x50's = 100gr for powder. Bullets are a different animal, I have seen pretty good results in a variety of inlines(and powders) with the saboted 240gr or 300 gr Hornady XTP's, so you could start their but no gaurantee's.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting

Primetime, welcome to muzzleloading, it's a real blast. Everybody gave you some good advice here. Muzzleloaders take a little more time and preparation for the average hunter. For hunters that really take their hunting serious, any weapon takes alot of preparation and practice. Take the time to shoot your ml's several times. Clean the barrel every couple of shots while practicing. Remember, the barrel will be clean when you take the gun hunting. I actually run a patch through my barrell after ever shot when practicing. Don't forget to clean your ml's after shooting. They will rust up rapidly. Bore butter and 3-in-one oil are good for the barrels and the breech plugs. If you have removable breech plugs be sure and put bore butter, grease, or oil on the threads to keep them from corroding and locking up in the gun.
Good luck to you.