Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got First Deer with Encore

Old 12-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Spike

Default Got First Deer with Encore

yesterday i was out and about noon time my buddy was doing a 1 man drive for me and long behold 5 doe's come through about 35 yards from me. i take a second just making sure none have antlers and then pick out the biggest one and BANG. she tucked her tail between her legs, put her head down and off to the races she went. i have shot deer with the bow and none have run like this. i was like, did i miss???? i listened for the crash but she just kept running. i radioed my buddy and over he came. i went over to the place where i shot and i found hair and blood, so i was happy i didn't miss. we start tracking this deer and i swear a blind person could follow this blood trail. it almost looked fake, all the blood on the ground. it was like someone had gallons of red paint going through the woods and just dumping it out every step and also taking a brush and going up and down sides of trees with it. blood was everywhere. but we kept tracking, 50 yards, 100 yards, 150 yards she kept going. right before we hit the pines, i was like... lets stop and wait....we might be pushing her and then jimmy said there she is. we walked over to her and looked at my shot placement and it was perfect. i guess she just had the will power to run and run and run. the doe was good sized, about 100lbs dressed. that was my first deer with my encore 209x50. for those of you who are wondering i used 2 50g pyrodex pellets and t/c xtp 240 sabots. before we went out hunting that day, jimmy commented that since i got the encore a couple years ago, we haven't had and luck in the woods during muzzleloader season. now i'm happy i don't have to get rid of my gun because we thought it was bad luck!!!

kevin
Old 12-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got First Deer with Encore

Congratulations of the nice doe... and a great hunt it sounds like. As you say, it never surprises me when people tell me how far a deer ran with a good solid hit. They are tuff creatures.

I am wondering, did the T/C XTP go all the way through the deer? The reason I as is I shoot the same bullet with only 80 grains of Goex 3f out of my Wolverine sometimes and was always kind of worried it would not blow through at close ranges. I have a few other loads I am sure would get through, but I really like the accuracy of the XTP's and their much more expensive version called the Barnes Expanders. I would shoot them all the time but at over a buck a throw, that is a little too much.

Due to her size that will be a good eating deer. Again, congratulations.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Spike

yes it was a complete pass through. at first i thought it wasn't when i rolled her over but i found the exit hole. about the same size or smaller than the entrance hole, if that makes any sense.

kevin
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 AM

Congratulations and bon appetitite...!!!! enjoy the meat... I was wondering what internal organs were affected from the shot??? I've found that heart shot deer run further than deer shot through both lungs... I always want complete bullet pass through... I hunt in some thick nasty terrain and the more blood on the ground the better... I could never understand why some guys want their bullet to expend all of its energy in the animal and not exit.. where I hunt 2 holes are better than one!
Jim B.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the deer. I took my first doe with mine this year and even though I got an elk and a 4x4 (145 score) buck with a rifle, this doe is much more a trophy. I might have to find some new hunting partners that shoot M/L's

Eric