Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 yard accuracy

Old 12-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 200 yard accuracy

If you look at the hole on the right side there are 2 bullets there.I assure you that there are 3 bullets in the group.
How many bullets can you count in the ground hog pic?This is my favorite load used it this year to take 3 deer one @234 yds.It is a different load than I used it the first pic.
The next pic is with a different load.Think you can clearly count to 3 there.Last pic is getting it zeroed @300,lots of holes there.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:14 AM

I have not practiced enough to shoot 200 yards.
I feel this is something you must do many times to get the feel before you try it on an animal.
I want to harvest an animal as cleanly as possible.
Not sayin that these shots ain't doable,but you must work up to them!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shootin' Herman.. ya' got that baby dialed-in!

Zak

250-300 yard shots with a ML needs ideal weather/terrain, a sharpshooter, a top-tier gun & 150 gr. loads. IF you don't have those four ingredients - don't even mess with trying it. Smokeless Savages are nice/advantageous, but if you can see your harvest fall upon firing, then it ain't no smokepole. They will remain legal in shotgun/smokepole hunting zones until enough blood is shed to outlaw them. It is unfortunate that our laws won't change until innocent folks sitting in their living rooms watching TV get shot.... but that's how the system works with our government.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

That's some nice shooting Herman! It would even be nice if you were using a centerfire rifle. I'm impressed
Old 12-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Zak you are right it takes a lot of practice.I put over a 1000 rounds through the 2 savages I have this year.I shoot once a week usually outside of deer season,with lots of different calibers.These shots were off a bench.The deer I took @234yds I rested off the window seal from a blind,if I had had to shoot off hand I would never attemped the shot.Shot one off hand that was at a trot @65yds through the shoulder and one standing still in the head @35 yds.
If I had of practiced with my encore or ruger I could have done the same with them.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: cybersniper

Hey Wolf,

All I read about last year was the PR bullets. I bought the 250 dead centers and shot three deer at less than 30 yards. Never a single pass thorough, I couldn't believe it.
I switched this year to the Knight red hot 250 made for Knight by Barnes. This is an awesome round. I shot one at 115 yds that not only passed through but completely blew the opposite side front leg off the deer on exit. It was just held on by skin. I hit another at 19 that passed through and looked as though I hit it with my 30-06. Awesome blood trails arnd easily recovered animals.

I have total respect for PR bulets, but would never switch back to them. They were extremely accurate, but most guys never have pass throughs with them, which results in less blood. There was a long thread on this last year if you do a search.

I shoot a .50 Knight Disc Extreme with 100 grain 777. Stainless synthetic w/ thumbhole stock

I can't shoot accurately much over 100yds because in WI we cannot have higher than 1X scopes. If we could have a magnified scope 200yds would not be an issue.

Cybersniper
I don't really care for the PR bullets. They're overpriced for what you get. They also have over inflated BC's. The Barnes 250's are also pricey, but they are awesome on deer. One of the better muzzleloading bullets if you ask me. I don't shoot em anymore, but it's not because I don't like em.

You may also want to try the Winchester Platinum tips. That's what I'm shooting in my Extreme (same model as yours) and I average 1 1/2" groups. Although not the best shooting bullet for my rifle, they are impressive on deer and 1/2 the price of the Barnes (which are the best shooting out of my Extreme). I figure the deer won't notice the 1/2" difference in groups.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tip, I'm willing to experiment and will give them a try.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

I just bought my first mz this fall (Austin & Halleck 320 Black) and am experimenting with different loads, etc. The drawback we face in Minnesota for hunting is that it's open sights only. At this point, I'm just getting comfortable shooting to 70 to 100 but am looking forward to experimenting and learning more as I go. Thanx to all here for the knowledge transfer!!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Iron,

We have the same law here, nothing higher than 1X scope. I used a red dot last year and a Holosight this year. They are much better than iron sights and faster to come on target. If they will allow it in your state they work pretty well.

Cybersniper
Old 12-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

They will remain legal in shotgun/smokepole hunting zones until enough blood is shed to outlaw them. It is unfortunate that our laws won't change until innocent folks sitting in their living rooms watching TV get shot.... but that's how the system works with our government.
Oh please! Fist of all, there are muzzleloaders that achieve velocities within 200 fps of the Savages smokeless loads. Secondly, your argument is baseless, since there is no more likely a chance that there will be a stray bullet from a Savage than from a Knight. On top of that, you are doing what so many ignorant antis do and blame the gun instead of the shooter for any accident that occurs. If a hunter puts a bullet through someones living room it is because he was negligent/reckless and didn't know what was behind his target and assure a solid backstop. I'd also like you to find me ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE that innocent bystanders are in greater danger from a Savage than from any other "magnum" muzzleloader. Unfortunately for you and your baseless argument and blatantly biased position, I don't think such evidence exists.

And ask yourself this question...who is more dangerous; a hunter with a Savage muzzleloader with, like any other muzzleloader, one and only one shot to take on a target, or a shotgun hunter who is able to blast out 5+ 3" magnum sabot slugs at a running deer that are currently achieving velocities of 2000fps or more?

Smokeless Savages are nice/advantageous, but if you can see your harvest fall upon firing, then it ain't no smokepole.
But like it or not, they are still a muzzleloader. I can't understand why there is so much division and infighting among our ranks, considering the Savage is no less a muzzleloader than a Brown Bess musket. Maybe we should ban Triple Seven and 150 grain charges before "innocent folks sitting in their living rooms watching TV get shot" and because it gives you an "unfair" advantage over those who choose to hunt with smoothbore flintlock muskets. Oh wait, did I say CHOOSE. Maybe we should quit nitpicking and allow people to hunt with whatever they CHOOSE to hunt with, as long as it loads from the front, even if some people don't like it? Wouldn't that be a novel concept...I think they call it "freedom."

Man, I just don't get some people.

Mike