Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 yard accuracy

Old 12-02-2004, 09:06 PM

Default RE: 200 yard accuracy

Wolf I honestly dont think it took you 200rnds to figure out what your rifle was doing out too 200yds. Even when sighted dead on @ 100yds, an Omega with 209s, 150grn loads and a quality bullet like a 250SST will only drop 6". With a 9 power scope @ only 200yds that is what I consider a fairly easy shot.

How do I determine distance? The same way I thought ALL modern hunters do, with the assistance of a laser range finder. If you dont have one, then GET ONE! If you still refuse one then spend the time to pace off (or personally I would recommend using a fishing reel spooled with EXACTLY 100yds of line) various landmarks around your stands so you know how far, within appx 10yds, your quarry is.

I dont think that it is really that hard for ANYONE to shoot with magnum muzzleloaders out too 200yds. There simply isnt that much to worry about, and the big heavy bullets are suprisingly wind resistant to drift at such short yardages unless you are just really hunting in galeforce winds.

For over 200yd shooting, YES it takes practice, confidence in your equipment and yourself and by really good equipment you can maximize your chances. Afterall trophy hunting is a game of time and odds. So why not try and maximize ALL opportunities you are graced with? That is why I recommend a mil-dot scope, an afternoon or two on the range shooting in 25yd increments. After such a "session" I believe anyone can calmly put the pill in the breadbasket of a whitetail at much farther distances than previously believed.

As for the 130grn number, its a random one really. For all intents and purposes I wouldnt recommend ANYONE shooting over 200yds if they dont have at least 120grn loads onboard. 150yds for 100grn loads etc. The magic number IMHO is 6" of drop. Anything less than that is easily handled and compensated for by most shooters. Over that requires some practice and special tools. NOT special skills in my book!

Good luck,
RA
Old 12-03-2004, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Savage is a 200 yd + muzzleloader.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Been kinda interesting folks. My ole muzzleloader has never saw a shot on paper over 100yds., never have thought of attempting a farther one anyway. Kinda figured if I done my homework, wouldn't need to. That theory has always held true cause I've never shot a deer over 40-50yds. with one, most way under that. I am also intrigued by the paper work figures, cause I know with traditional every rifle is different. So there is no substitute for practice and finding the right load for your rifle. Wolf mentioned that he has already shot a couple hundred rounds through his this year, I like that. It would be a safe bet that he is a far better shot than your once a year man that goes out the week before season to see if his rifle is still shooting fair. I've seen alot of that. Just last weekend is a good example for my area. Drove by the local (members only) gun range and had to just shake my head, what normally is an empty place was wall to wall vehicles. Amazes me. I'm sure we've all heard "I don't know how I missed him" , I do. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:38 PM

Red, I must say it took me about 200 shots to find the best combination. I shot 175 gr, 195 gr, 210 gr Precision rifle dead centers and the same combo in QT bullets all with 100,105,110,115,120...150. Thats 6 bullets, 10 powder combinations at 3 shots apeice. Thats 180 shots. Then put in testing on different powders(once I found optimum load); About 250. To know you have the best load possible you will have to shot this many shots. However, to know you have a 200 yard load you might not have to. On the other hand some people get lucky and find a really good one by luck.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage is a 200 yd + muzzleloader.
=============================================

My sidelock shoots 200 yards accurately & it doesn't need smokeless powder to do it.

IE.... Garage sale ($30) Traditions Deerhunter 50 percussion using 85 gr 777 FFF with 285 gr Buffalo S.S.B. 45/50 topped with a handgun Simmons 4X32 scope mounted around 1/2-way down the barrel.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: gelarson

The last muzzleloader magazine had an article on shooting out to 300 yards and on wind drift and bullet drop. Good article to read even though with the old Hawken my range is 110 yrds or so.

Eric
Old David squeezed off on General Santa Anna at about 200 yards. General "Peacock" thought he was safe. Wind got up so the round ball only clipped the epaulet on his right shoulder. Old David didn't know that his old flintlock longrifle was sooooo inferior to the inlines so he took the shot anyway; but he knew where the bullet was hitting at that distance.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

I have other muzzleloaders that don't need smokless powder either but they are not doing 2450 fps using a 250 gr bullet either,and they have to be cleaned afterwards too.
All are fun to shoot too.Neither will make a deer any deader than the other one either.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I set up 2 14' tripods on opposite ends of open field 3 years ago just for the 200 yrd shots with a smoke pole and 125 with slugger.

I have my Knight set up and shooting superbly at 110yrds. By this time next year it and I will be shooting at 200 yrds. IMO IF you have a love and intimacy with your smokepole any muzzle loader can cleanly take out a deer at 200yrds.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Wolf,

All I read about last year was the PR bullets. I bought the 250 dead centers and shot three deer at less than 30 yards. Never a single pass thorough, I couldn't believe it.
I switched this year to the Knight red hot 250 made for Knight by Barnes. This is an awesome round. I shot one at 115 yds that not only passed through but completely blew the opposite side front leg off the deer on exit. It was just held on by skin. I hit another at 19 that passed through and looked as though I hit it with my 30-06. Awesome blood trails arnd easily recovered animals.

I have total respect for PR bulets, but would never switch back to them. They were extremely accurate, but most guys never have pass throughs with them, which results in less blood. There was a long thread on this last year if you do a search.

I shoot a .50 Knight Disc Extreme with 100 grain 777. Stainless synthetic w/ thumbhole stock

I can't shoot accurately much over 100yds because in WI we cannot have higher than 1X scopes. If we could have a magnified scope 200yds would not be an issue.

Cybersniper
Old 12-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Herman, How many shots in that group? I only see two. Show me some sub MOA groups at 200yds with three or more rounds and you may turn me into a believer.

Cyber

Quick Reply: 200 yard accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.