Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lookin to but an Inline Muzzleloader... Need your Opinions.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Lookin to but an Inline Muzzleloader... Need your Opinions.

Hey,
I am lookin to buy a Inline Muzzleloader to extend my season since we can only use Shotguns during modern firearm season. I would like to keep prices under $300. I have looked around and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the Knight Magnum Disc Inline Rifle ($299), Remington 700 ($299), and the Traditions Evolution Long Distance ML ($250).
Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lookin to but an Inline Muzzleloader... Need your Opinions.

I would choose the Knight Wolverine II. It can be had in blue or stainless.Natchez shooters supply, may have a rebate going, prices run $150-262 plus shipping. the best deal i know about . The ML shoots great!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Without doubt the Knight is the better rifle. It has a Green Mountain Barrel, a timney trigger, and is considered one of the most accurate on the market. If you mount a scope on this rifle you have a 200+ yard rifle with practice and the right load.

Just remember that $300.00 is only the rifle. When you start adding all the extras, the scope and stuff you will need to shoot it and maintain it, the cost will be much more.

Also your choice of the Knight Disc would be the only rifle you would ever need to buy if your a one rifle type of person. (Which I am not...) I think the rifle is a great choice and Knight has a $50.00 rebate until I beleive the end of the year on any rifle with a 24 inch barrel or longer. the Disc is one of them......
Old 11-22-2004, 07:04 PM
TTG

Just wondering,why have you not considered Thompson Center Black Diamond XR ?
Myself and two freinds own them and boy do they shoot, and there in you price range.
Have you heard bad things about T/C?
I hope not because I can tell first hand that they stand behind there product, there customer service is exellent.
Have fun and be safe with which ever you choose.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Save a little more and get a Knight Revolution. I got mine for $350 2 weeks ago..and have 2 kills with it already.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:28 PM

I have nothin against the Thompson rifles. The ones I listed are just a few names I got from a quick browse on the internet that fell in my price range. I will look into them. I was looking through a Cabela's magazine and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the CVA HunterBolt 209 Magnum, and the FireBolt 209 Ultra Magnum.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought a Knight Wolverine II LK-93 almost a year ago for $149.00 from Natchez Shooting Supply and I would pick that hands down over any of the CVA rifles I have had a chance to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I own a CVA Staghorn Magnum and it is a good shooting rifle, but my little Wolverine II with the 22" barrel will outshoot it on a heartbeat. The balance of the Knight and the quality of craftsmanship is very apparent when you look at them and shoot them.

I also have a Thompson Center Black Diamond XR which is an excellent shooting rifle. Again, a very good quality rifle. Very accurate, and well made. If you can afford a better rifle I would stick with the T/C or Knight line of rifles. In the long run you will be more satisfied with your muzzleloading dollar spent.

If you just want an entry rifle into the sport that will be a good shooter, well made, and easy to clean, then look into the H&R Huntsman or Sidekick.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Outdrsman17

Of the rifles you suggested here, there is no doublt that I would choose the Remington, in fact somebody posted a string awhile back "if money were no object" - I would still choose a Remington SS.

I have two of them, a 24" barrel and a 26", they are truly accurate. I also have an Austin & Halleck, a CVA Firebolt and a Black Diamond, not an XR. The Remington is a true stainless, it fits well, it is balanced well, it has a tight action, an adjustable trigger, and proven metal sights, + drilled and ready for a scope if your rules will allow and lastly all three ignition systems are available. The reviever bolt is built on the Remington Model 700 short action, so there is enough room to get your fingers and/or tools in there to allow more accessible loading or nipple removal. The barrel, right out of the box is ready to shoot and it will shoot accurately with about any combination of bullet sabots you can stick down it. It is really not picky. The $299 is a great buy for a $450/500 dollar rifle.

Weaknesses, that you should be aware of:
1. Remington is probably discontinuing the making of this rifle - rather addressing two other weaknesses.
a. The Remington 209 shotgun primes system is very weak - it works, but, it is just not convienent. A replacement system is available from Cabelas - that works really well.
b. The bolt needs to be cleaned and taken care of - which should be part of your cleaning regime anyway - it is simple to take apart and clean.

To try to answer your question about any BPI/CVA product, would be my personal opion only. They are priced low for a reason and you truly get what you pay for with these products. They work but there is so many other comparable products out there that are really better.

I know I will be in the minority on the Remington choice, and I am not a Remington fan, but in this case the price is right for the gun you will be getting. Take care of it and it will take of you.

Good luck in your search...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

None of the above... although the Rem shoots deadly accurate But it's discontinued & still overpriced by by $75. That rifle in January or February will be $199 in spots. The Knight is the "original" Disc so I will pass on that one. Had you stated the Extreme or Disc E lite, I would of suggested you buy it.

Below is T/C's version of their top-notch bolt-action. Best warranty in the business too! Scroll down to product #U26196. This place charges $258.17. The link I provided below that one shows a pic of the Black Diamond XR... scroll down also to view 4 models.

See The Black Diamond XR Right Here

Buy The Black Diamond XR Right Here
Old 11-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Spike

i shoot a 45 cal remington. i dont care if remington hasnt got enough sales to keep them in the line, mine shoots VERY, VERY SMALL groups!!!!!!! i havent had any problems with the 209 ignition or anything for that matter. i shoot 2 pyro pellets and a hornady sst. deer that i have shot with it have dropped in their tracks. i have a leupold vx 1 and i am comfortable with long shots also. as far as cleaning the bolt and action you should clean your guns anyway! and in my opinion the trigger is the sweetest of any blackpowder rifle i have ever shot.

Quick Reply: Lookin to but an Inline Muzzleloader... Need your Opinions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.