Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question for all you diehards

Old 11-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question for all you diehards

Hey there, I have a ?? for all the diehard bp people in here...

My neighbor is getting one for xmas (he doesnt know it yet lol) from Mrs Santa... She came to me asking about a good quality hunting kit that would not break the bank since he also getting a new summit climber and a few other things as well for xmas!!!

I have hunted with a TC thuderhawk for years..since it came out.. its an ok little gun. I like it b/c I can hike with it and my stand on my back deep into the woods and not feel likt I am carrying alot plus its great in the stand for getting around one side of the tree.. so I have not kept up on all the new stuff in the last few years real close.. I am getting a new gun myself this spring but it is out of her price league.

She is looking to spend around $300 maybe a tad more on a gun... she was looking at some of the packages that they sell like at Gander Mountain and through Cabelas and sorta likes the idea of a kit (scope and starter kit) for him...

I saw that CVA had a few complete kits within her budget but I have never shot one of their products (everyoen else in my family including my mom shoots remington bp) so are there products decent for a all bp? any major quirks? Or is there someone else who puts together a decent package out there?? ALso what quality are the scopes in them?

I know I sound lost and I am not when it comes to bp.. just sorta lost on all the different models out there right now since I am planning on a remingotn on encore for mine I havent payed attention to the rest lol

ANyway sorry to be so long winded but any help woudl be awsome!!

Justin
Old 11-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question for all you diehards

I would stay away from the kit guns if at all possible. They look like a good deal but you can do better. The reason is often times the scopes that come with them are not very good quality. For a few dollars more you can get a good quality scope that will last a life time. Also some of the stuff they include in their kit is useless.

If I wanted to stay around the $300.00 mark, I would get a H&R .50 caliber Side kick for $150.00 some weaver base mounts should run about $8.00 and a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn Scope with 4.5" eye releif for around $70.00. That would run me about $230.00 and leave me enough to get a T-handle short starter, a dog bone capper, CVA Slick Breech plug and Nipple Grease, a couple boxes of T/C 240 grain Mag Express XTP's, a pound of Pyrodex RS powder and a see through powder measure. What little left over could be spent on some cleaning jags.

Forget the video that comes with the kits. They are really basic. The scopes in the kits are bottom of the line. There are better rifles out there then most of the kit guns offered. Might as well get him an introductory rifle but one that is easy to clean and take care of, accurate, and will last him a life time.......