Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Shotgun Data Help Please

Old 11-19-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Muzzleloader Shotgun Data Help Please

I am looking to purchase a 12 ga muzzleloader shotgun barrel for my T/C Encore. However, I don't know where to start in developing a load (what type and how much powder, shot size and how much, etc) Does anyone have any experience with this type of hunting.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloader Shotgun Data Help Please

you might try night and hales site know i know they have done shows with the shotguns with pretty good results. best of luck.......
Old 11-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloader Shotgun Data Help Please

ORIGINAL: SliprockI am looking to purchase a 12 ga muzzleloader shotgun barrel for my T/C Encore. However, I don't know where to start in developing a load (what type and how much powder, shot size and how much, etc) Does anyone have any experience with this type of hunting.
USE WHATEVER SIZE SHOT IS APPORPRIATE FOR YOU USE - 4 or 6 for ducks, 6, 7.5 for pheasants, etc. Fg or FFg powder for a 12-ga. Pyrodex RS, T7, FFg ok too.

This is simple - in a mL shotgun, you use an equal volume measure of shot and powder, with a wad column in between the powder and shot. Then a thin card "overshot"wad goes over the shot to hold it in place. You can substitute one of the new-fangled plastic shotcups in place of the wad column, but of course you still need a thin card on top anyway! For starters, I suggest you use a measure holding one ounce of shot, and the same VOLUME (not weight!!) of FFg powder. If you get an adjustable shot measure, you can increase the amounts of shot and powder in 1/8 OZ increments at a time, starting at one OZ, then 1-1/8 OZ., etc., until the gun is kicking as much as you like, then use that charge for hunting/trap/skeet etc. For wads, use one card wad over the powder, three felt wads on top of that, then the shot next, and then a thin card over the shot. If you are using a double, make sure the wad column and overshot wad fit tight enough that the recoil from one barrel does not move the charge in the other tube. Check this with a ramrtod several times until you are confident the charge is not moving due to recoil!! VERY IMPORTANT!!