Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BPI Muzzleloaders (CVA, Traditions, Winchester)

Old 11-19-2004, 03:31 PM

Default BPI Muzzleloaders (CVA, Traditions, Winchester)

I here a lot of things that people don't like the BPI muzzleloaders, i own a winchester and it feels durable and strong, I hear people say that they think they are junk and they blow up...will they really blow up under normally circumstances, what are your opinions on these guns, i like mine but hear a lot of bad things...Are they really that BAD?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BPI Muzzleloaders (CVA, Traditions, Winchester)

[/quote]ruger891022

I have a Firebolt, a cousin of the Winchester, I really can't say that it is bad or that I worry about it. I really don't push it that hard so I feel comfortable with it's abilty to handle the loads I shoot from it.

It is, however, far from my favorite inline. It feels good, looks good and I really like the feel and fit of the stock, but it really doesn't shoot that accurately. Don't get me wrong it will work well for a hunting rifle - it just frustrates me at the range. After several hours of bedding, lapping the barrel the best target I have ever got out of it was 3 1/2" @ 100 - that is the best not the norm.

I think just about any BP rifle can blow-up if you do not follow the manufacturers guidelines and on occasion even following the guidelines one might let go. I am not sure that BPI is any more suseptible to that than any of the lower priced guns.

I really hope I have not clouded the issue for you...
Old 11-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spanish barrels & Spanish breechplugs are not the best for strength. Keep your loose 777 powder loads at 100 -- Pyrodex at 120. If shooting pellets, I'd max it out at 130... 2-50s & 1-30 grain. Do not rapid fire these guns... meaning continuous with a bunch of pre-packed speed loaders.

If you own a 2003-2004 CVA Eclipse, contact [email protected]. Tell them you are paying the $16 shipping/insurance of Fed-Ex to have them check the gun out thoroughly because there is an internet rumor from video producers & Private Investigators that several Eclipse shooters visited nearby ER rooms adjacent to their shooting ranges/backyards/public hunting woods. These are not to be construed as my personal feelings, I just report what's being passed around the web via forums, PMs & emails.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I own a CVA Firebolt mag in 45 cal. a Traditions evolution in 50 cal a Cva Kodiak in 50 two CVa eclipes that I shortened the stocks on that my grandsons hunt with and both harvested their bucks with opening day and last but not least a Knight Disk. I hunt with all the the above except the Knight, a real pain in the ass to clean. Have not had a trouble with any of them and the new Kodiak shots 1 in. groups pushing Perciesion Deadcenters with 2 777 pellets. Great trigger pull and the metal fit is decent for the price.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

All of my inlines are Traditions ,
never had any problems . You could spend more for a long gun , but it won't be that much more accurate or drop game faster .
Old 11-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of my inlines are Traditions ,
never had any problems . You could spend more for a long gun , but it won't be that much more accurate or drop game faster .
Fire that Traditions Spanish barrel in warm-hot weather using speed loaders. Take you time.... don't rush! Just do it like a normal routine - a couple of minutes apart. Next.... do the same with T/C or Knight barrel.

I guarantee you you'll see a difference! The Traditions bore will shrink/soften -- causing a stuck bullet. The Knight or T/C rifle bore will not. T/C & Knight ML manufacturers use "close to" or meet centerfire SAAMI specs.... Spain does not. That matters when explosions are happening right next to my face. It's your head.... do what you desire!

I'm done here on this thread! Some folks you can't teach! Most know that a long barrel will combust blackpowder or synthetics better.... resulting in more velocity/energy.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

< Message edited by kevin1 -- 11/22/2004 7:30:15 AM >