Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

So did modern MLing start?

Old 11-21-2004, 11:53 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: So did modern MLing start?

When did start? Wow, since the dawn of time men have strived to make a deadlier, more long range weapon. There are a group of poeple that always look back and have trouble moving forward in life. Thier mentality is "if it works why fix it". but the problem with that is we would be all hunting with muskets even now. Then there is a group that is never satisfied with medocracy, and always looks forward. I am a in between guy. Niether side is wrong or right. We need them both.

But to answer you question, i am sure you meant for it to be, Knight started marketing a easy to clean inline hard in the 80's and things have never been the same sense. Though rarely happening, and thru alot of fault of the shooters, a misfire here and there will cause people to change thier minds quick. I know when I hunted with a T/C hawken, I always quesitoned if I got out all the crud in the back of the barrel. I never had a field misfire but worried about it constantly. So I got my first MK, and loved it. From there everybody was buiding on that technology. From velocity, to bullets, to ignition. And here we are today. Shooting 200yards at deer.

Old 11-21-2004, 07:51 PM

I don't know why I did'nt ponder this first but a good question would be. If there were no special muzzle loading hunts or seasons and they were not allowed in shotgun states what would the market be like?

Metro...
Old 11-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

probaly not as good, most folks only use something that offer an advantage, you would not believe the none bow hunters that have come to me wanting advice on x-bows, i've only shot 2 in my life and i was not impressed, i'd rather have my tuned compound anyday, and throw the x-bow in the river, but it does bring more pepole to huinting
Old 11-22-2004, 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

probaly not as good, most folks only use something that offer an advantage, you would not believe the none bow hunters that have come to me wanting advice on x-bows, i've only shot 2 in my life and i was not impressed, i'd rather have my tuned compound anyday, and throw the x-bow in the river, but it does bring more pepole to huinting
I think this is the key point here regarding inlines: more are drawn to hunting. In my not so humble opinion, and I'm sure I will ruffle many feathers by expressing this, is that inline muzzleloaders are modern rifles and do not qualify technically to meet the requirements for which the primitive muzzleloading seasons were designed to accommodate. About the only thing they have in common with traditional blackpowder firearms is their method of loading the projectile. Those who wish to use "in-line" muzzleloaders can do so, but they need to wait for the modern gun season to begin.

That said, I agree with others who have stated that in general inlines are good for blackpowder hunting in general by drawing more to the sport, and most state game management needs more deer hunters, not less. But I am still steamed that inlines are so dominant in my area that no local stores carry blackpowder anymore. So screw them: I refuse to EVER use Triple 7 or Pyrodex in my new Great Plains Rifle or any rifle that I will ever buy or build. I will order it from www.powderinc.com from now on.