Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Black Powder Cleaner" or soap, water, Hoppes, ???

Old 09-08-2002, 07:09 PM

Default RE: "Black Powder Cleaner" or soap, water, Hoppes, ???

I used to use the bucket with soap and water, scrub scrub. Then I tried #13 cleaner. Since I switched to Tripple 7, I just use a couple damp (with water) patches. Then a couple dry patches, then some oil. The stuff comes right off and isn't really corrisive anyway and no sulfer smell. I am thrilled with tripple 7 to the point where I am soaking the rest of my can of Pyrodex and dumping it. I am never going to use it again!!!. The tripple 7 is almost odorless, cleans up with a damp patch, doesn't rust the barrel and is very accurate in my TC thunderhawk.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:12 PM

BTW, I used to have such bad leading problems with Great plains bullets that it took hours of scrubbing to get the lead out. I switched to Barnes sabots and now I just scrub with a dry patch briefly between shots and the plastic fowling comes right out! My TC thunderhawk shoots them well too, despite a 1 in 38 twist. No more lead bullets for me! I think jacketed lead would work ok too like Powerbelt but I have not tried them. The barnes shoot great in my gun and that is good enough for me.. Plus they are deadly on deer!
Old 09-09-2002, 11:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hot soapy water for barrel, pass through with a few patches till clean. I use Black Duck for the breech plug, nipple and my bolt (700 ML). It just seems to clean it quicker than water. Let air dry and put back together. Use rem oil to keep it from rusting and nice and clean. I do this after I shot it ever time...clean freak.