Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Black Powder Cleaner" or soap, water, Hoppes, ???

Old 07-17-2002, 04:54 PM

Default RE: "Black Powder Cleaner" or soap, water, Hoppes, ???

i clean my cva firebolt with t/c 13 after that use borebutter
Old 07-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Dominant Buck

This is my method. First I remove the barrel and take the nipple out. I then pour some Hoppe's #9 (only a little) and tip the barrel back and fourth coating the inside with the Hoppe's. I then wire brush the barrel to knock any lead and stuff out. Turn the barrel upside down and tap it on some paper to see what falls out. While all this is going on, I had water in an old camp coffee pot boiling.
To this boiling water, I add Dawn dish soap, and the nipple I removed. Wearing a good pair of gloves, I put the nipple end into the water and using some cotton strips I cut from old socks (worn out socks work great. cut 1 1/2 inch strips up the sock, cut that into two cleaning patches, there ya go)suction the water up and down the barrel. The water will turn black as you do this. You will want to change patches a few times. This barrel will be HOT! When the patch is clean, remove it from the water. Then run a patch down with more Hoppe's #9. It should come out clean. Because the barrel is so hot, it will be bone dry at once. Then wipe the outside of the barrel with the hoppe's patches, and pour the water out. The coffee pot screen will catch the nipple (which is very HOT!) Clean the nipple and pick it. When the outside is all wiped clean, I reassemble the rifle after the barrel has been cooled. Oil the outside of the barrel, and if I am going to store it for a while, light coat of oil inside and store muzzle end down.... Works great for me
Old 07-25-2002, 08:23 AM

When I'm in a hurry (or feeling lazy) I use TC or Hoppes Black Powder solvent. I bring it to the club for black powder shoots and can have the gun cleaned, oiled and put away before the scores are posted. Very convenient!

Hot soapy water works great when you have hot water.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I can clean my Encore thoroughly in ten minutes with T/C no.13 bore cleaner and follow up with borebutter!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 07-31-2002, 01:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Has anyone but me ever used Windex with ammonia? Cuts BP or Pyro fowling in a hurry.

Winger
Old 08-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also use the TC cleaner at the range. When I get home I still clean it with Hot soapy water. I then dry it good and coat it with TC bore butter.

Old 08-28-2002, 06:28 PM

Last time I used some spray gunk called &quot;Break Free&quot; or some such, sprayed on my 16 ga. boresnake. Not too bad. Pretty expensive though. The can of &quot;spray&quot; was $10.00

I was told about a &quot;home brew&quot; that I had little faith in, until I read it in this thread as well. At least the components are the same, if the proportions are different.

1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap
1/3 Rubbing Alcohol
1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide

Procedure as described to me:

Muzzle up, nipple occluded somehow. Hammer down on a rubber stopper maybe. Next pour a cup or so of the &quot;brew&quot;. Let sit briefly, then scrub with appropriate sized brass brush to loosen all the &quot;gunk&quot;. Then remove the occlusion from the nipple, and force the brass brush back into the barrel, which will force the solution through the nipple cleaning it. Rinse thoroughly with hot water, dry & oil.

I'll take good luck over skill any day!
Old 09-02-2002, 03:34 AM

Hot water and soap for mine.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:03 AM

Well, since I posted the original topic, I have been trying a couple of the suggestions from this thread. I have come to the conclusion that it is more about the volume of water that you flush through there than what is in it. As long as I put the muzzle in a bucket of water (hot or cold) and pump up and down with the patch, it seems to do a good job quickly. Nothing seems to work when a bucket is not handy and I am using just patches.

I have yet to try the Murphys oil soap, alcohol and peroxide (why peroxide?) but I might give that the next try. It works wonders on my wood floors, why not the muzzleloader?

Chubber

Quick Reply: "Black Powder Cleaner" or soap, water, Hoppes, ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.