Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Load development procedures

Old 11-15-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Load development procedures

Question for the forum... When you guys are determining what bullet/powder combo works best do you clean your barrel every 5-10 shots. I just bought some bore butter lubed patches from T/C. I thought I would shoot a 5 shot group run a cleaning patch down followed by a bore butter lube patch and then finish with a dry patch. Is this an acceptable practice? I was just wondering what some of you guys do in range shooting procedures. Also do you guys rather accuracy check at 50 yds. first and then move out to longer ranges or do you start out at 100 yds? Just wondering how the sharpies do it. Also once a load is developed do you use the same cleaning procedure when practicing at the range. Thanks in advance... this is a great forum. I wish I found it sooner.
Jim B.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Load development procedures

First thing I would do is forget the bore butter patches. Swab the barrel and start on a clean bore. Why do you want to smear a film of wax and natural oils on your rifle barrel? I also start the shooting at 25 yards and shoot until I can get a ragged hole in a 5 shot combination. I then know the best powder/projectile combination. I do swab between shots but use a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid.

I then move back to 50 yard to see how the projectiles behave. From there I move to 100 yards and fine tune the load and the scope adjustments from there. Then move back to 25 yards and do it all over again.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

When working up a load, I always swab between each shot (one cleaning patch followed by 1-2 dry patches). That way you are more cosistent than if you let fouling build up slowly for 4-5 shots. I wouldn't use the bore butter either unless you are shooting lead conicals such as maxiballs that require bore butter. I don't use bore butter for powerbelts.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some powders (777) need swabbing after every shot when using magnum powder charges (110-150) unless you are using cooler 209 primers, musket caps or #11 caps that reduce crud buildup in front of the breechplug with many inlines.

I use 105 grains 777 loose & I swab after every 2nd shot to try & duplicate a real-life experience in the woods where 2nd shots are sometimes needed. Bore Butter causes accuracy/groove-clogging problems with sabot/bullet loads. Use it to lube conicals or patches.... otherwise throw it in the garbage & swab your bore at the range with a small spray bottle filled 50-50 with Windex & rubbing alcohol.

I've shot my Omega 30-35 times at the range without a thorough cleaning... just swabbing & checking the breechplug hole -- then loosening/re-tightening the breechplug after every 10 shots so the breechplug does not seize-shut with hot 777 powder loads..
Old 11-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others. Butter is best left for toast and bagels.

I use Butter as a round ball patch lube and for Wads when I shoot lead conicals, but otherwise it isn't needed for any type of Sabot or powerbelt.

For working up loads, when you're working with a total unknown setup, it's best to start at 25yds like cayugad mentioned. Personally, I'm confident enough in what my rifle does to start at 50yds............but that's as much experience as it is ego.

When developing loads or just practicing at the range, I always run both sides of a spit patch between each shot and maybe 2 such patches after every ten shots. The key to consistency is consistency (thank you Yogi Berra ). In other words, do the exact same thing everytime. Measure your powder the same way, load your bullet the same way, swab between each shot the same way.................... that way the only excuse for large groups is operator error or the load itself - and operator error can be greatly decreased by good bench practices.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks alot guys. However I notice that with my 1 particular gun/bullet/powder combo my best accuracy is achieved between 10-20 shots with no patches what so ever. Just load and shoot. After 20 shots accuracy then begins to suffer. I even go so far as cleaning my gun thoroughly, shooting it 12 times, and then I'm comfortable going hunting with it. Then I won't clean the gun until after hunting season. Have I developed a bad habit that needs to be broken? My hunt load is a .50 cal. 240 gr. Swift A-frame with 150 gr. pyrodex charge (pellet) and a Win. 209 primer. Gun is a Knight Disc. Thanks for all of your help.
Jim B.