Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Hawkens?

Old 11-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default TC Hawkens?

Does anyone still use these? I would like to get one of the new break action muzzle loaders, but I'm gonna try the hawken that was given to me this season.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:26 PM

Default RE: TC Hawkens?

Man you are lucky Ive been wantin one for quite some time but just cant afford it. Im sure youll be very happy with it and yes many people do still use them.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Borty77

Does anyone still use these? I would like to get one of the new break action muzzle loaders, but I'm gonna try the hawken that was given to me this season.
I shoot and/or hunt TC Hawkens year round...I've accumulated several in different calibers, both percussion and now flintlocks...outstanding rifles for the money with a lifetime warranty second to none.
[email protected]
Old 11-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Like roundball I own several of them in all calibers. They are a great shooting rifle and a lot of fun to hunt with. I am sure you will have an excellent experience with it. Be sure and work up your load, which is normally roundball, and practice. They will get the job done as well as any inline you want to shoot.....
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

Oh absolutely people still hunt with em. They are not near as common as say 1990 with the majority of hunters using them. I still take mine out every once in a while, especially if doe hunting.

What I have found out, is you not going to kill any more with a inline than you are with a sidelock. I have furthered my range up to 150 yards now with the modern ML, but still 90% of my shots are under 50 yards.

Old 11-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

For my .54 cal TC Hawken I picked up the TC maxi hunters that come in the yellow box. Will these shoot good enough for 1 weekend of muzzleload season? Or is the round ball and patch the way to go? Appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Refinishing my 45 cal TC Hawkens as we speak. Lemme tell about the beauty of blackened brass!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot them out of my .54 caliber T/C Hawkins with 80 grains of Pyrodex or Goex FFg. They are real accurate out to 75 yards, but I have not tried them further then that in a long time. They will take a deer right off their feet if you place it right.

Then again, do not underestimate the power and accuracy of the roundball. They also shoot excellent out of most Hawkins.....
Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Borty

Most of us owning the Hawken-types have better success using the Maxi-Balls ... located right next to the Maxi-Hunters. Try one around 350 grains.... can't remember exactly what size they come. Another nice bullet is the Buffalo Maxi-Ballets. They come in a blue, plastic container. If buying three types to try, the 348 gr Powerbelt would be my choice next-in-line.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:55 PM

I shoot .54 caliber Hawkens with a roundball and patch. AWSOME performace! I also have a .54 New Englander with 12 ga shotgun barrel. I shoot maxi balls from it and it shoots better than the Hawkens but the Hawkens will always be my favorite. GET IT AND SHOOT IT!

Quick Reply: TC Hawkens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.