Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need inline advice

Old 11-08-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Need inline advice

I'm now in the market for a good inline that uses percussion caps. I'm sending my Kodiak back to Bass Pro Shops for something leagal in Idaho. Any suggestions which ones to consider?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need inline advice

A good, reasonably-priced In-line would be either a Knight USAK or the Knight Wolverine. Both are still available with #11 percussion ignition and both can be excellent shooters. They are practically Identical rifles, with the Wolverine having an adjustable trigger and maybe a little better stock (and costing $20 to $50 more than the USAK).

I paid $159 at Bass Pro 3 years ago for my USAK with the Knight shooting kit and it has been a marvelous rifle. It shoots 300+gr sabots, powerbelts, & conicals very well out to at least 100yds with moderate powder charges (80 to 90gr of 777). I've taken several critters with it and it has never failed me in the field yet.

Knight makes a quality product and these rifles may be "inexpensive" compared to Knight's other models - but they ain't "cheap".
Old 11-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

The choice of what kind of rifle you want depends of a number of things. I would ask some questions such as; What are your State requirements? Seeing that you are required to use percussion caps instead of 209 primers, might we guess that you are also restricted to no scopes and certain kinds of projectiles such as all lead bullets or conicals?

This would also put many of the break open rifles out of the picture because of the tolorances they have with they close and lock up. I am not sure if the higher end break opens can use a nipple.....

Some other questions are what is your preference to a rifle? Do you want a break open, sidelock, bolt, or striker, sidelock? Seeing you're returning a CVA Kodiak then I would guess that the break open design is what you were after.

The last big question is how deep are your pockets? What kind of price range are you hoping to stay in?

Some inline choices are.. Knight Rifles... The Knight Wolverine II which uses #11 caps, shoots sabots excellent and is an overall great rifle. I have one of these and with a sabot this thing is deadly... I think most of the Knight rifles can use a nipple.

The T/C Black Diamond XR is another choice. It comes with three different ignitons, the 209, the #11 and the musket nipples. The rifle is a great shooter but is a pain to clean. I have one of them also. The rifle really is a good shooter with many different kinds of projectiles.

There are some CVA rifles out there that do have the #11 and musket nipple accessory packages. The problem is they are not the Kodiak. I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum that I shoot musket caps out of with excellent results. It is a great powerbelt shooter.

I am sure there are many other brands and models out there. Have you ever considered a sidelock rifle? I really think too many people think a inline is the answer to all their muzzleloader needs. Sidelocks are great shooters, and will do all the things the inlines will do. There are some excellent choices in the sidelock area....

what's your pleasure?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

mrimike

Cayugad gave you some excellent advice - my only extra thought would be not to get a CVA/Winchester at this time. There are so much better equipment out there. For the price you pay for one of these rifles you are getting your moneys worth - but for a few extra bucks you can find much better quality.

The XR is a great gun with a great warranty
There are some reall good Knights also

Another thing to weigh in is do you want an inline or a break open. These seem to be the more popular right now. (easier to clean, but I still prefer the bolt inline)

As you know in Idaho no scope - so you a top quality open sight system - not on a CVA although you can buy replacements.

You can use sabots and real bullets - I am using .458 (45/70) rifle bullets and a Sabot from MMP. You may want to use conicals.

The ignition system needs to be high quality because you are sing #11's or musket caps.

Good luck in you search
Old 11-08-2004, 05:42 PM

my CVA come with all 3 options,#11 caps ; musket caps ; or 309.have had mine several years and have no problems.
just depends on you and your $$$$$$$$.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:59 PM

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=25014016
check out the t/c thunferhawk in 54 cal. outstanding m/l
Old 11-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The T/C Black Diamond XR 26" is $253 so click RIGHT HERE

If you have a Walmart nearby... most of em' sell the shorter 22" Black Diamond cheaper than the site I listed above. Also, hopefully someone here will provide you with a link for the Knight "non 209" Wolverine. Either rifle manufacturer has fine quality, accuracy & the best warranties in the business.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Natchez Shooting Supplies is having a sale on Knight Rifles right now. I just got the on line flyer today. They have the Knight Wolverine II which shoots the #11 caps for $149.00 or the Knight Disc Rifle for $179.00/w rebate. Both of those would sure take care of you.

They have Green Mountain Barrels, Timney Triggers I believe, and are real nice shooting rifles. Like I said, I have the Wolverine II. It might have a 22" barrel but it is a heck of a shooting iron.....
Old 11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I was shopping for an inline, I liked the T/C black diamond and the Knight Wolverine, but I had the $$$ to spend, so I got a T/C Omega. It's super easy to clean, which is a big plus for me.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:35 PM

CVA may be an inexpensive ml but I own 2 a side lock and an inline. They have a life time Warranty and the service dept has been exceptional.
I had a American Knight and It just didnt feel right in my hands not knocking Knight mighty fine quality guns I just like my CVA's better.

Quick Reply: Need inline advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.