Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thompson omega piece of *%$#@??????

Old 11-08-2004, 11:14 AM

Default RE: thompson omega piece of *%$#@??????

Loading .452 saboted bullets in my Omega is fairly difficult (not like you're describing though).

.451 bullets load considerabley easier; on par with a patched .490 round ball in a GPR.

Power Belts easily slide down the barrel.

I suggest trying some .451 bullets, if that doesn't work try some .429 caliber bullets. The .429 bullets use the green sabot.

I get good accuracy and performance from the 260 grain .451 Nosler Partition HG bullets, they're pricey though.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a black diamond xr and love it. Thompson customer service has been excellent. I broke the breech plug wrench that came with it. Called and they sent me a new one in a couple of days. Love my thompson and hang in there with the Encore. A friend of mine has one and it is awesome. All muzzleloaders take a little getting used to.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:42 PM

Thank all of you for your suggestions and I made up my mind to trade the gun for a Knight Revolution. The difference was unbelieveable. Knight sabots and Knight gun, I can actually load it without having to take along a hammer to drive the ramrod down the barrel. Splitting bullet holes at 100 yards. In my small town in the mountains of Virginia, I was the fourth person to RETURN an Omega for a Knight in the last week. Thompson will not admit they have a bad batch of guns on the market and it is a shame. I was lucky enough to get back in my stand and kill the buck I had to let go the first day because I could not get the Omega reloaded and it is a dandy 13 pointer. Thank you Knight Rifles!!! My problems are now solved!

Old 11-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. Glad you were able to get a gun you liked and work up a load so quickly. As for me, I will stick with my Omega. Of course I have never shot a sabot, just conicals, but they shoot fine out of my gun.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:45 AM

I have heard very good things about the Omegas. Its possible you just got the one in a thousand that should have been bored out a little more. I would ask for a replacement.
(and use a wire brush).
Old 11-09-2004, 08:05 AM
bigcountry

Some people just don't get it. But hey nice deer.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some people just don't get it.

Exactly...[]
Old 11-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

[Some people just don't get it. But hey nice deer.
[/quote]
Some people just don't get it. But hey nice deer.
Double Ditto[]
Old 11-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: newguy23

So Bob I guess the new Savages which shoot smokeless powder really gets under your skin!??!

By the way I have a TC Omega fluted stainless steel barrel with a thumbhole stock. and yes I muzzleload just to lengthen my deer season! I will make no apologies for that!
not asking you to....and getting in exrta time afield go for it....and no it doesn't get under my skin.....................bob
Old 11-10-2004, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Bob I respect your opinion and choice to use your flintlock. I believe the comment you quoted was in reference to yet another line drawn in the sand with muzzleloading, the smokeless offerings such as the savage ML 10. If where you hunt the definiton of a ML meaning stuff one shot down the barrel with a rod, attach some sort of ignition, regardless of the propellant, bullet or ignition the choice is yours to make and nobody should feel they have to justify it to others. I love hunting and any way to spend more time pursuing my passion than I am all for it.

i bet anyone if they shoot a flintlock or even a caplock with open sights you guys might even switch to them for they are great to shoot and when you down a deer with them it's even better then nailing one at over 100 yards that didn't even know you where there with an inline....i know when i can count eyelashes and the deer doesn't know i'm there yet brings awhole new meaning of buck fever even if it's not a buck
Hey Bob, you don't need to shoot a "traditional BP rifle" to experience this!!!! I bow hunt and pass a lot of deer in a given year regardless of my range/weapon. Not everybody picks up an and fires when a deer steps into the range window of the weapon in their lap.

Like I said I respect your choice and won't say a thing to dissuade you from that choice...why can't you extend me the same?

It is choice not who's better.

i'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone....just don't say a an inline is traditional....they didn't have primers in 1790's............................bob

Quick Reply: thompson omega piece of *%$#@??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.