Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thompson omega piece of *%$#@??????

Old 11-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: thompson omega piece of *%$#@??????

I heard this before about the omega.I have had one 3 years and have no problems reloading without cleaning untill the 4th try. Maybe mine was a earlier model ,but I love mine
Old 11-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another question ,would a little vaseline on the plastic part of the bullet hurt the powder from going off ?? If not that would help reloading the second time in the field without running a patch
Old 11-07-2004, 05:06 PM

Maybe Thompson Center Bore Butter would be a better choice.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

never put any kind of lube on a sabot... When a plastic sabot is lubed it will cause the sabot to skip over the rifling there by effecting the spin in the barrel. This will cause inconsistant spin of the sabot and effect your accuracy. Actually we want the sabot to expand from the powder explosion and then engage the rifling in the barrel. The one thing I do before loading a sabot, and you might try this if you like is, I might wet the plastic a little with my mouth just enough to slide it down, knowing that the moisture amount is so small it will wear off on the inside of the bore and dry off by itself prior to shooting.

If the projectile your loading is so tight that it is almost impossible to load, then you should consider looking into a different projectile or sabot make. Granted a little tight is alright. What many do is load a sabot that they get their best accuracy from. then they have a second projectile, whether it is a conical, ball-et or different sabot make that although might not be their best accurate load, can still be loaded fast as a back up shot....
Old 11-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

well put cayugad!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another question ,would a little vaseline on the plastic part of the bullet hurt the powder from going off ?? If not that would help reloading the second time in the field without running a patch
with sabots you dont want any kind of lube on them, but with patched roundballs or some conicals you will want to stay clear of petroleum based lubricants with muzzle loading because the petroleum causes excessive fouling, Id look into "bore butter" or any kind of natural lubricant. I've heard of some folks using crisco as a lubricant. I myself use bore butter. good luck
Old 11-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot my omega yesterday using T/C Cheap Shots, and everything went just fine. I used the wire brush on the barrel between each shot -- had no problem loading.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eto

Next time you buy those Cheapshots, they will likely be wearing a thicker plastic sabot.

The rumor mill about T/C changing sabots in the their bullet-packaging appears to be true. Evidently, they have switched to Hornady plastic sabots for cost savings.

Little do they know that present cost savings will likely result in future lost T/C Bullet Pack sales because shooters who are fed up with grunts & groans to load their bullets will just start shooting someone elses products.

T/C had a good thing going with bullet sales & now they're throwing it all right out the window. Very-very few ML shooters are aware that slimmer-petal plastic sabots can be purchased from Harvester & MMP online-only. As a result, when the bullet fails to seat properly in a clean T/C inline barrel, bullet buyers will discard that T/C packaged bullet & buy from the competition... not-ever realizing that switching plastic sabots will salvage the bullet.

Talk about a bunch of dumb white collars over at T/C Headquarters eh????
Old 11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
bigcountry

I am curious on why alot uses a wire brush between shots. Every time I viewed a barrel where someone pulled a brush without running it all the way thru (no breech plug), it scared the barrel. In the centerfire world this is a big no no.

In other words push a brush thru and then pull out without pushing all the way out.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:35 AM

I cant even get the brush out without having it completely dissasembled. The brush has to clear the breech plug area before it will pull back out. Am I missing something ?

Quick Reply: thompson omega piece of *%$#@??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.