Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lapping/Seasoning

Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Lapping/Seasoning

Cayugad - I think you hit the nail on the head. You git the second gold star! How naive of me to think that American industry would manage themselves in a manner that would best serve the customer. Nah, the bottom line is the bottom line. Personally, I think it stinks that any ML company would produce barrels that have the bore variances that 777 describes when they have the ability not to. If TC can produce a standard .22 cal bore, why the hell can't they produce a standard 50 cal bore?! Doesn't make sense.

I'll tell ya what, if TC intentionally creates ML bore size variances in an attempt to create a larger market for their projectiles, I'd feel like boycotting the whole company. Seriously. However, if all the ML companies do it, it would mean that I would have to boycott the entire industry. Well...can't realistically do that either. Like shootin' to much.

In summary, although there may not be a conspiracy within the ML industry to produce varying bores sizes, it's nothing other than sloppiness that they do so when they have the techical ability not to. Sheez, one guy spends his hard earned $s to buy an Encore because he likes the way his buddy's Encore shoots and then he is considering a risky process like lapping the barrel because his new $500 gun's bore is smaller than his friend's. Are you kidding me?! Where's 20/20 when you need 'em?

Although satisfying to discover the "magic load" for your ML, it takes time, patience, persistence, and $s. Unfortunately, each of us only has so much of each. There, I'm off my soap box.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 AM

I must have gotten lucky so far, because all the .50 in line guns I have owned have been relatively consistent in terms of bore size. But from some of thingsI read and hear about the "lemons", you got to wonder . . . . If centerfire rifle barrels were made with this much variation, we would be blowing up guns with starting loads somewhat frequently. Since their pressure ratings are so much higher, I'm assuming the quality control on the barrels must be tighter. And there are SAAMI specs to guide the manufacturing. Maybe building muzzeloading barrels to this level of consistency would add $50 to the price of a gun. I would pay it . . . .
Old 09-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem is not just bore diameter, it also extends to groove and land dimensions - to the extent that even "same diameter" bores will behave very differently.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM

Rich Dunkirk did know alot about the subject, I knew him personally and had quite a few arguments with him, but he was right. Rich, rest in peace bud.