Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Omega......problems

Old 10-25-2004, 05:02 PM

Default TC Omega......problems

My Omega shoots awsome, my groups are excellent @ 100yds. Shooting is not the problem, its loading. The gun is almost impossible to load. I am shooting shockwaves and I have to put all of my body weight on the ramrod to get the bullet to go down, even after using # 13 and a dry patch. I just shot a doe this weekend and went to reload a second shot without cleaning and it would not go, I had to put the ramrod on the base of my treestand and push on the stock with all of my weight (220lbs). This is not the performance I expect after spending that type of money. My buddy has the same gun shooting the same loads and has the same exact problem. He sent his back to TC and they told him there was nothing wrong, they told him to swab after every shot. That is fine when you are @ the range, but out in the woods that will not work. My experiences with the Omega has me ready to revisit my knight dealer.[:@]
Old 10-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TC Omega......problems

T/C : great firearms, great company, but I agree with you abou the problem and you didn't pay for this to happen.

I have a Knight, and I love it, and its 12yrs old, itching for a new Knight
Old 10-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have a stainless Omega 50 and I agree the rifle is difficult to load with most sabot/bullet combinations. Powder makes a big difference also. If you are shooting 777 forget a second shot even with a Powerbelt which will sometimes load a second without a swab using Pyrodex or Clean Shot. If you really want to shoot several shots without a swab between I suggest you find some Black Mag3 powder and use a Powerbelt bullet. I have heard about more than 50 shots without a swab between shots. Personally I shot three in a row using a Harvester sabot and a 300gr. .452 bullet and could have shot more but the test was only calling for three. Converting to the .25ACP primer also helps. Mine shoots almost in the same hole so I am satisfied with it as long as I pick the right bullet powder combination.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:41 PM

not just worried about loading a 2nd shot, would like to get the 1st one down. I use screw in piece on the end of my ramrod to load the shockwaves, from all of the force used to load the gun, the piece broke off and left the threads in my ramrod. TC gun, TC loads, should be no problem.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Omega as well and have yet to run into the trouble you're having. I have notice that the triple 7 powder does tend to build up down near the powder load area and has made it tight when running my patch through. After every shot weather I'm at the range or in the woods hunting, I run a two of those pre-seasoned cleaning through my gun. The first one gets the heavy powder residue and the second one for a final quick clean of the barrel.

It's the way I've done for the last four years. I never have the trouble of the powder build up or the plastic sabot build up since I started doing it this way. When I'm heading for the woods I take about a 1/4" worth of pre-seasoned patch and I keep them in a sandwich baggie. T/C sells these in a jar that comes with 100 patches. Give it a try and I hope this helps
Old 10-25-2004, 06:19 PM

Thanks MK, that is actually what I use and it does save alot of time and mess, however in my opinion, if I spend almost $500 on a gun, I should not have to swab it after every shot, I do use 777, but I also used 777 in my Knight had no problem. Even with a spotless barrel, the thing is still almost imposible to load.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:47 AM

The common answer to this problem, posted many times, is to try a different sabot. Stupid, huh? TC sabots not loading in a TC gun! Couldn't get them down my CVA either. See the other post about a complete lack of industry standards in the ML field. Makes me think twice about buying an Omega, or any TC product.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:58 AM

I have loaded the sst in the 54 thunderhawk without any problems,but I do use the harvester red 54 sabot.My other t/c they will just not go down the barrel after the first shot. I also found the they shoot very well at the 50 yard target ,but can't seem to get them any better then 5 inch group at the 100.
I use the noslers 300 grain full partition sabot they load like silk no stater hammer needed
Old 10-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Omega shoots awsome, my groups are excellent @ 100yds. Shooting is not the problem, its loading. The gun is almost impossible to load. I am shooting shockwaves and I have to put all of my body weight on the ramrod to get the bullet to go down, even after using # 13 and a dry patch. I just shot a doe this weekend and went to reload a second shot without cleaning and it would not go, I had to put the ramrod on the base of my treestand and push on the stock with all of my weight (220lbs). This is not the performance I expect after spending that type of money. My buddy has the same gun shooting the same loads and has the same exact problem. He sent his back to TC and they told him there was nothing wrong, they told him to swab after every shot. That is fine when you are @ the range, but out in the woods that will not
hrtshot

Could you & your buddy's problem possibly be a combination of T/C-13 swab that leaves the hot bore tacky & more difficult to load/seat another bullet (or) possibly a buildup of carbon residue/plastic fouling because the T/C-13 isn't strong enough to remove it? Last fall, I decided to start swabbing with Lehigh Valley & Ballistol. All of a sudden, my easy-loading sabot/bullet was going down the chute with brute force. Before that -- maybe three years ago, I only cleaned with a blackpowder solvent. What a mistake that was.... didn't remove didley & made loading more & more difficult due to plastic & carbon. Many blackpowder cleaners remove blackpowder fouling... that's it!

if I spend almost $500 on a gun, I should not have to swab it after every shot, I do use 777, but I also used 777 in my Knight had no problem.
How much 777 powder are you using & do you swab with a brush or jag? With 777 fff and cool primers like CCI regular, I've gone three 777 shots without swabbing... but not in the old days with 777 FF and hotter Winchester/Federal 209 primers... no way Jose!

Knight Rifles manufacture oversized bores in their guns... generally .503. With White Rifles no longer in factory-type production due to bankruptcy, Knight is the only "current production" manufacturer doing so with MLs that I'm aware of. The rest are smaller bores... ie... CVA, Traditions, Remington, T/C ... etc.

MMP.com sells thin 45-cal plastic sabots. After reaching their website, retrieve their phone# & ask for the thin-petal, #24-grade sabot for 45/50 bullets. Del Ramsey - if he's there, will help you. Also, Harvester 45/50 plastic sabots (50-pk) are thinner than most. Find those in most hunting stores.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

All I can say is I love my Knight 45......

Quick Reply: TC Omega......problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.