Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Omega......problems

Old 10-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: TC Omega......problems

mlkeith let me know how that works out for ya, i almost made my t/c omega part of a tree, the place i hunt is doe first then the buck the first shot was fine but trying to load the second shot was impossible the deer ran 50 yards from me and stoped and walked away after about 5 minutes. now mind you that they were all doe,s but if it would have been a buck of a lifetime i would have wrapped the gun around the tree ,
Old 10-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

For what it is worth I could load three loads in a row with a 300gr. bullet in a harvester sabot using Black Mag3 powder without a swab between before I lapped the bore. That is the powder I will be using for my Elk hunt this year as it is totally non fouling. I intend to finalize my sight settings this Saturday and will check the ease of loading after lapping the bore. This was with the .25ACP conversion but I will check with a standard 209 primer also this Saturday.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keith

Are you getting "consistency' with Black Mag-3? I've read one instance where a user complained of up & down chrono readings shot-to-shot. Keep us posted after your final session sighting in with Black Mag-3. Just curious as to how well your shots group at longer ranges like 100 yards & beyond.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have tried to post this a couple of times but this site seems to be having some problem. I cannot even bring it up without trouble. Anyway; I have only shot nine shots of BM3 over a chronograph. Of the nine shots eight were within 50 fps of an average around 1950fps. One was about 1875fps and I don't know what caused that. I have wider variation with 777 or Pyrodex. Clean Shot is pretty consistent. I will not be using the chronograph Saturday as it is at the range and difficult to set up there. I will try to get more over the chrony later in the week when I can get a bay at the Practical Pistol range. Weekends are too busy. Since I last shot I have lapped my barrel and that should help to make the results more stable. My Omega does not have a lot of bullets down the barrel and I think the lapping was required to make loading more consistent.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:55 AM

Got an Omega and love it. Have not had these problems except after shooting 5 or 6 rounds. I use powerbelts and pyrodex. Give it a shot.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Omega. Quess I dont shoot enough to get the problem. I'm new to blackpowder and I can shoot three times before it gets to tight to load.The first time it goes down very easy. I use 2 powder pellets and 295 power belts. Shoots good. I don't shoot alot with it though. After I got it sighted in I shoot 6 shots before season and then only shoot when I'm shooting a deer. I got a big doe this year in the early Muzzy season with it and it did a great job.It fell in the spot. I use it 1 week out of the year and then clean it up good with solvcent and take the plug out and make sure everything is spotless.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep ! I'll stick with my Knight Disc. Never a problem.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 PM

Looks like I am not the only one with loading problems with the Omega. I am going to try putting a little bore butter on my Shockwaves to see if they load any easier. Has anyone tried that yet?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

OK; what is Lehigh Valley and Ballistol? I think the latter is some kind of oil that is impossible to fine except at Brownells. Lehigh Valley stumps me. I have been using T/C #13 and after running a couple of hundred swabs of JB bore paste I can load some sabots sometimes. Harvester usually; Hornady never. I need to try the above as soon as I can figure it out.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK; what is Lehigh Valley and Ballistol? I think the latter is some kind of oil that is impossible to fine except at Brownells. Lehigh Valley stumps me.
==============================================

Both Lehigh & Ballistol can be purchased at
Click Here For Thunder-Ridge.com

My mistake last year was testing both products as swabbing agents using either one at full strength. I have a new concoction that I just made this week. I'll be testing it AFTER hunting season. Think I'll call my ingredients makeup Bore Puke Potion.

3 parts water
3 parts rubbing alcohol (70% label)
2 parts Lehigh Valley Lube
1 part Ballistol (or soluble cutting oil)
1 part Pine-Sol (no substitutions like Murphys Oil Soap or anything generic)

For a long time, I was using 50% Windex with ammonia
..................................... 50% Rubbing Alcohol (70%)
I'll continue to do so this remaining season. It works like a charm & gets everything squeaky clean. However, I want to try something that has a little lubrication, more cleaning properties & contains no harsh chemicals to scorch the bore walls. I'll report on it when I'm finished... suspect that I may have to tinker/fine tune/tweak the ingredient proportions a bit.

Quick Reply: TC Omega......problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.