Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Omega......problems

Old 10-26-2004, 09:02 AM

Default RE: TC Omega......problems

ORIGINAL: hrtshot

Thanks MK, that is actually what I use and it does save alot of time and mess, however in my opinion, if I spend almost $500 on a gun, I should not have to swab it after every shot, I do use 777, but I also used 777 in my Knight had no problem. Even with a spotless barrel, the thing is still almost imposible to load.
The key difference between Knight and Thompson is that Knights generally have a "cooler" breechplug. Which Knight did you have? I do get some crud in my Knight Extreme, but nowhere near the level I get in my Omega. The solution is to use a cooler primer. From what I have read and experienced it seems to be primarily a 209 issue. My #11 fired GPR has never had a crud ring in the many shots through it. I've got a 25 acp conversion on the way for my Omega which I have been told (and read about too) reduces the 777 crud ring. I should be getting it anytime and will let you know how well it does.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Triple Seven: Is your Knight that does not have a problem with 777 crud ring a 209 primer rifle?? If so what 209 are you using? If not that might account for the better results with 777 in the Knight. My Omega with the rifle primer instead of the 209 is a lot better when I use 777. Since I got some Black Mag3 I think I am done messing with 777.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

HEY HRTSHOT, DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN HUNTING WAS EASY ? WE USED TO JUST BUY THE POWDER THE BULLETS AND SOME TIME AT THE RANGE AND YOU WERE READY. NOW WE HAD TO GO AND BUY THE OMEGA AND ALL OF A SUDDEN WE HAVE TO BE ROCKET SCIENTIST TO SHOOT THE DAMN THING, USE 777 WITH SHOCKWAVES, USE THIS WITH THAT , (WOW IM DONE) AND DONT FORGET THE PATCHES I USED TO CARRY A FANNY BAG BUT KNOW I NEED MY SONS BOOKBAG JUST TO GO INTO THE WOODS WITH MY T/C, IM WITH YOU IM GOING BACK TO KNIGHT SO I CAN WORRY ABOUT HUNTING NOT ABOUT BEING ABLE TO LOAD THE GUN AFTER THE SHOT,,,, THIS WEEKEND MY OMEGA COST ME SEVERAL DEER AND I AINT HAPPY , SO FOR SALE ONE T/C OMEGA CAMMO AND STAINLESS BEST OFFER
Old 10-26-2004, 02:59 PM

What I don't understand is if you are having problems with a certain bullet why just keep trying to use them.
I do not own a Omega seen them at the range man they look sharp ,would be just as simple to choose another sabot
Precision qt's 40 I bet will load like silk,hey the noslers 300 grain full partition sabot that I use you don't even need a starter hammer,all you need is your thumb.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: DR KILL

HEY HRTSHOT, DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN HUNTING WAS EASY ? WE USED TO JUST BUY THE POWDER THE BULLETS AND SOME TIME AT THE RANGE AND YOU WERE READY. NOW WE HAD TO GO AND BUY THE OMEGA AND ALL OF A SUDDEN WE HAVE TO BE ROCKET SCIENTIST TO SHOOT THE DAMN THING, USE 777 WITH SHOCKWAVES, USE THIS WITH THAT , (WOW IM DONE) AND DONT FORGET THE PATCHES I USED TO CARRY A FANNY BAG BUT KNOW I NEED MY SONS BOOKBAG JUST TO GO INTO THE WOODS WITH MY T/C, IM WITH YOU IM GOING BACK TO KNIGHT SO I CAN WORRY ABOUT HUNTING NOT ABOUT BEING ABLE TO LOAD THE GUN AFTER THE SHOT,,,, THIS WEEKEND MY OMEGA COST ME SEVERAL DEER AND I AINT HAPPY , SO FOR SALE ONE T/C OMEGA CAMMO AND STAINLESS BEST OFFER
What happened this weekend? I've never gotten more than one shot at an animal because I can't reload fast enough with any muzzleloader including a Knight Extreme. I think you just need to experiment a little to find a good load that you can follow up quickly with. Pyrodex and a 295 gr. Powerbelt is just as effective as whatever your shooting in your Knight. If you still want to use triple seven just spring for the conversion. It's just like using a Knight Disc or Full plastic Jacket.

Myself, I'm not worried about a follow up. I concentrate on making the first shot count. I only get one anyway.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:38 PM

Loading .452 saboted bullets in my Omega is fairly difficult. .451 bullets load considerabley easier; on par with a patched .490 round ball in a GPR. Power Belts easily slide down the barrel.

I suggest trying some .451 bullets, if that doesn't work try some .429 caliber bullets. The .429 bullets use the green sabot.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:16 PM

lonewolf: Getting a 2nd shot is not the only problem. The problem is getting even the 1st shot down, even with a spotless barrell. And as far as making the 1st shot count, I have spent countless hours at the gun range with Dr Kill, and it is safe to say I would put myself along with Dr Kill, next to you on the range and Outshoot you 10 out of 10 times. So making the shot is not a problem.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:34 PM

hrtshot :I think the subject here is not how he can shoot or even out shoot someone else he does't know (and my self being retired from lawenforcement
25 years and being a shooting instructor for the dept.,the main subject why use something that just won't work?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

I just talked with a gunsmith at Thompson Center today and one of the items that I asked about was the difficult loading. The recommendation from G/C is to shoot several lead bullets (like Maxihunters) to burnish the bore. I decided to speed things up and used some JB Bore Paste and about 100 strokes up and down the full length of the bore using patches on top of a bronze brush. The bore looks great. I will find out what the effect is this Saturday.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:17 AM

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

I just talked with a gunsmith at Thompson Center today and one of the items that I asked about was the difficult loading. The recommendation from G/C is to shoot several lead bullets (like Maxihunters) to burnish the bore.
Powerbelts work better. Shoot a full package of 295's with 80gr of 777 and swab between every shot. If you can't find Powerbelts, like I couldn't this spring, then any pure lead conical will work although they are much messier. I do it this way because it's more fun than working a ramrod back and forth.[:'(]

Quick Reply: TC Omega......problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.