Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

opinions on buying muzzleloader

Old 10-10-2004, 09:37 AM

Default opinions on buying muzzleloader

I want to get started in muzzleloading and have a few guns in mind but there ae so many things to look at I need some help in choosing the right gun. The guns I am looking at are the CVA Optima 209Mag. w/29" barrel, CVA Kodiak 209 Mag. w/28" barrel, New England Heritage w/26" barrel and the Winchester Apex. Any thoughts and comments on these guns would be a big help.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: opinions on buying muzzleloader

It seems like people really have a dislike for the Winchester... I am not sure if it is fair, since I have not shot one, but you hear very little positive about them.

I have not shot the CVA's either, but as an economic choice they appear to be well worth it from what I have read.

When I researched getting my first muzzleloader, I read all I could and came down to the decision of either a Knight DISC, TC Encore, or TC Omega. I didn't mind spending a little up front as I like to have a relationship with my guns. I ruled out the TC Encore because I don't like the way the stock feels and the interchangeable barrels is really on no consequence to me since I have a few other guns that would serve those purposes.

All in all it came down to the fact that I could get a thumbhole ss fluted barrel omega at a great price and so I got that... I am sure I would be happy with a knight disc as well.

If you are looking for a good bargain, it seems people are really happy with the TC Black Diamond.

Hope that helps, whatever you get I am sure you will like it!
Old 10-10-2004, 02:09 PM

Most folks that you hear from on this and other forums that are happy with their gun and are getting great accuracy are most likely to be shooting a T/C or a Knight product. Just sumpin' to think about!
Old 10-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumper

Check your flashing Private Message box here.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:19 PM

First time on message boards....I don't see my private message box????
Old 10-11-2004, 04:13 AM

thumper9 ; it depends on the $$$$ you want to spend and how much you gonna use the gun.
my wife and I shoot the CVA magbolt 150 in 45 cal. and have had great results.we use the powerbelts 225 hollow point and pyrodex pellets.
you can get the package from Bass-Pro with everything except powder for $199.00.scope included.a good choise for the $$$$.

you can't beat the TC guns,they have great guns and a warrenty that want wait for anyone.they cost a little more but well woth it.
My first BP gun was a TC hawken.that was 35 years ago.many have fallen to that gun.just had to have me one of those inlines.the CVA has been a good gun also.
best wishes on what ever you get.just make sure you learn from someone that knows BP.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:11 PM

Default bolt action or break apart

I have recieved some good information on buying a first muzzleloader. I have noticed that most of the replies have been to buy a bolt action like the Knight disc and CVA magbolt. I am just wondering if there is much of a difference in cleaning and operation between bolt or break apart, as far as time of cleaning and ease of operation. I have seen that it can be hard to get the cap into some bolt actions when there is a scope attached. this is pretty much the only reason I was looking at break apart guns such as the T/C Encore, CVA optima 209 and the New England Heritage. I also am wondering about weather proof, as I live in Minnesota so the gun will be exposed to harsh conditions. Any input will help.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

thumper9; I just bought a Traditions Persuit 50 cal. (189.00) and am shootihg 70 gr. 777 under a 295 gr. bower belt hollow point & am haveing great results. handle one & see what you think.

keep your pdr. dry
Old 10-11-2004, 06:29 PM

You Can't go wrong with a TC or Knight, I have owned both, and they are very reliable, accurate guns. I now have a TC Omega, and would not trade it for anything.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

The Knight DISCs are going pretty cheap right now. I bought a stainless steel barrel with camo stock from www.Natchezss.com for $260.00 and that's before a $50.00 rebate.
Oh yeah, I sighted the scope in at 75yards with 6 shots...the last two was dead center of target.

Quick Reply: opinions on buying muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.