Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on the new TC shockwave sabots

Old 10-05-2004, 08:33 PM

Default Question on the new TC shockwave sabots

Do you really need a special jag to load them to keep from messing up the tips, or will the one that came with my optima be fine? I start hunting next week so if I am gonna shoot those I guess I need to hurry up and find out! Thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question on the new TC shockwave sabots

If your jag has a hollowed out head so that it does not press down on the poly tip you should be fine. I bought two of them at the local Wal Mart and they worked great... They also worked on the XTP's well.

That's a great bullet your shooting. I read some impressive reports on Shockwaves and elk.... Sounds like a real good combination your shooting.

Good luck in your season
Old 10-06-2004, 06:52 AM

Default RE: Question on the new TC shockwave sabots

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

Do you really need a special jag to load them to keep from messing up the tips, or will the one that came with my optima be fine? I start hunting next week so if I am gonna shoot those I guess I need to hurry up and find out! Thanks.
Go buy a Powerbelt bullet starter. The hollow faced tip designed to work with tipped bullets works great. Also good for getting em started (which is what I use em for). My Powerrods already come with a suitable tip for tipped bullets, but I also own a CVA bullet starter (basically the same thing as the Powerbelt starter, but wood and brass) which works for starting them down.