Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

need help identifying .22 black powder rifle

Old 09-14-2004, 06:34 AM

Default need help identifying .22 black powder rifle

about three years ago I stumbled upon a little rifle, took a chance and traded for it, it is about 36 inches overall in length has a fairly plain one piece wood stock and is .22 caliber-the odd thing is the action, it rotates around and lifts out of the receiver and I believe you are supposed to load it and return it to fire, it has the initials R.M.A.C. on the side of the receiver and made in the usa pats pending below that, I was told it is called a turret breach, possibly made in the later 60's or early 70's by a company called rocky mountain arms corp, there was supposed to be a write up in the gun rags back about that time but I have been unable to confirm, I was also told that the source of ignition was supposed to be the little toy strips for cap guns. any information about this gun, especially a magazine article or any company literature would be most appreciated, any thoughts or opinions/ helpful ideas also gladly accepted, my thanks in advance, John
p.s. I purchased some .22 lead bullets intended for the little North American Arms .22 blackpowder revolver and plan on trying it out with some ffffg sometime, anybody have any thoughts on what powder charge to use? I am at work now but will try to upload a picture later, thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 12:40 PM

Default RE: need help identifying .22 black powder rifle

Rocky Mountain Arms Corperation. I think Dick Casull designed it. I've got some information somewhere, I'll see if I can find it when I get home.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:50 PM

that would be great, if you have anything at all I would appreciate it, if there is very much info and you want to part with it I would be more than willing to send you a little money to cover what you might want for it as well as shipping costs, my thanks in advance, John
Old 09-15-2004, 09:32 PM

Found it! Eight page article in the 1972 Black Powder Gun Digest. PM me, or email me. I can send you hard copy, or try to scan and email.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 PM

Charley, I emailed you through the site, John
Old 08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Spike

This gun is very rare, but not very valuable... RMAC which at the time stood for Rockey Mountain Arms Co mfg a 22 32 and a 44 cal version of this Turrett rifle. The unique thing about the 22 is, it uses a lead 22 cal bb that loads in the breach of the bbl, then instead of black powder you fill up the turrett porton with bullseye pistol powder and use a stick cap as a primer. Like for a toy cap gun! The 32 and 44 loaded in the same manner, but used black powder and 11 precussion caps.
the genius of this was that the chamber was slightly tapered which acually form fitted the ball to the rifle lands making for a tight gas seal. This weapon probabbly failed in the market for several reasons, mostly most states had primiative weapon hunting laws that required the buttet be loaded from the muzzle. The 22 version had some remarkable claim that it was like 1/10 the cost of 22lr to shoot. I have been looking all over for one, hope to run accross one one day. In 1972 it sold for under 100.00
Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Spike

Default I have one.. .22 caliber Turret rifle

I have one of these rifles... I got it for Christmas when I was 14 years old in 1973 or 74... The rifle itself is still intact.. It is just missing the front sight... I hunted with it a lot in southern Idaho I shot birds, ground squirrels and rock chucks and other occasional varmints... If I recall it used 4F black smokeless powder... if I recall my uncle gave me a big bag of double ought buckshot that was pretty close to the same as a 22 caliber pellet... Or you could buy the 22 caliber round ball ammunition... Or sometimes I would buy 22 caliber pellets that were made for the Benjamin pellet rifles... Once I learned how to adjust the sights the gun shot fantastically well and accurate... I have had it now for close to 40 years... And it probably has not been fired in that length of time either.. Once I join the military when I was 18 my dad put it away for me and I never fired it again... Now it's just part of my small collection... If anybody is truly interested I might be talked into selling it for a fair price... Just email me at.... [email protected]. I would be more than happy to send you pictures and answer any questions... I still can remember how to load it and everything else it's not a complicated piece of machinery...
Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

yep super rare. They used to build a rifle that looked like a white rifle only it could fire 200 grains of pyrodex. I had the chance to buy one off a guy that worked from rocky mountain arms. I passed and then read later on about them and could have slapped myself.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

00 buckshot is over 32 caliber. Number 4 buckshot is 24 caliber. IIRC number 5 buckshot is about 22 caliber but its not actually called number 5 buckshot usually. Its called something like #F.

I think Gamo was selling 22cal lead balls not long ago.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

With .22cal air guns getting more popular by the day, there are a LOT of manufacturers gearing up for or already putting out .22cal pellets and such. You could probably find them at almost any wally world.

Quick Reply: need help identifying .22 black powder rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.