Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Good Starter MuzzleLoader

Old 09-12-2004, 05:31 PM

Default A Good Starter MuzzleLoader

I am interested in getting started into muzzleloader. I would love to have an encore but it seems as if it is around 500-600 dollars, pretty pricey. I want to put a scope on it but know nothing about these guns. Some brand and model names would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Good Starter MuzzleLoader

How much are you looking to spend?

I am very pleased with my TC Omega.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Since your looking for a starter muzzleloader that is not too pricey, and you want to put a scope on it, I might suggest a H&R Sidekick in .50 caliber. .50 caliber is the best all around caliber especially in the modern in-line muzzleloaders. If it were sidelocks, we might talk different calibers.

Another one you might look at are the Knight Wolverine 209 or the Knight Disc. Both of them are excellent rifles. Mounted with a scope they are excellent sabot shooters. With practice ranges of 150 yards and further are very possible once the right load is found.

Another excellent rifle for starting is the Thompson Center Black Diamond XR. I have one and personally recommend the rifle for accuracy and quality. Check ..Bass Pro Shop. They were selling them for $200.00 a while back.

Depending on what you want to spend, there is a rifle to fit your needs. Let us know a dollar figure and we can put on the right track. Also some of the posters will offer suggestions for a good scope. I use Bushnell products. There are other good brands out there for the money....Sightron, Millet, Bushnell, Nikon, and others....
Old 09-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

What model do you want...
Flintlock?
Percussion sidelock?
Break action inline?
Bolt action inline?
Plunger action inline?
Smokeless Savage Arms?

How much are you spending for the rifle... minus the scope & accessories?
Old 09-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cottonfarmer

I am interested in getting started into muzzleloader. I would love to have an encore but it seems as if it is around 500-600 dollars, pretty pricey. I want to put a scope on it but know nothing about these guns. Some brand and model names would be helpful.

Thanks
A good starter ML.....

Old 09-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

eldeguello ... you got my vote for the right choice. That is a beauty. Seems funny, I have run to the far end of the circle almost with inlines and find myself now much more interested in my flintlock then any other rifle I own....
Old 09-13-2004, 09:15 AM

I have owned my CVA inline for 4 years and have found it to be a very reliable, very accurate ml. The finish on the gun is not very durable, this is my only complaint. I shoot 295 gr. powerbelts and get about 1 1/2-2" groups at 100 yards w/ (2) 50 gr. pyrodex pellets. It was a very inexpensive gun ($150.00) so this would probably explain the barrel finish problems but for a no frills, accurate hunting ml I would definately consider one.