Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore fouling ????

Old 09-10-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Bore fouling ????

I have had my CVA Optima at the range twice and I am having a little trouble with a fouling ring forming in the area where the sabot seats. I am using 777 in 85 grain loads and I have had the same result with all of the bullet/sabot combos I have tried so far. I swab the bore after 3 rounds with a alcohol-windex mix and then a dry patch. I can feel the fouling when I load the second and third rounds and when I swab the bore. I have taken the breech plug out and visually inspected the area (after swabbing) and I can see a ring of stuff forming around the bore in the area where the sabot seats. I can't see anything out of the ordinary before I swab. After swabing the bore the next round loads Ok and the process repeats. When I clean the bore at home I can see the ring after I clean the bore and it takes a bore brush to remove it. The bore looks fine when it is clean. Is this normal? or do I have a problem?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore fouling ????

Dismiss those hotter 209 primers for a cooler one (CCI). Also, buy FFF 777. Doing both should lessen your crud ring significantly. Last... with 777, it's better to swab after every 2nd shot with your type rifle.

The burn rates for 209 primers from hottest to coldest are:

Federal 209A
Chedditte
Remington
CCI 209 Magnum
Winchester
CCI standard
Old 09-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

This happens to some extent with any ML powder, but 777 is especially noted for this, called "burn-on at the breech" by old kanoozers. I have found Pyrodex RS to be most free from this problem. I can shoot my guns all afternoon with Pyrodex RS, without wiping between shots at all. But when I get home, cleaning the rifle is more difficult than with 777! So there's no free lunch![]

T7, I used 777 last time I went to the range, and got distinct hangfires every shot using CCI Magnum No. 11 caps. Had to install a MagSpark nipple and go to 209's to get it to stop. Accuracy was good, though!!

Three shots @ 100 yards, 230-grain .45 cal. Maxiball from a 32" Wm. Large barreled Hawken, 1/72" twist, 90 grains of 777 FFg with Wonderwad under bullet.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:36 AM

Just swab after every shot. With sabots you should be doing that anyway. I do even when using other types.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the info guys.......I will make the adjustment suggested and let you know how it goes.....
Old 09-10-2004, 09:25 AM
bigcountry

Its a catch 22 with todays sabots. You need them to be tight fitting for no blowby with heavy loads >90gr. But they are so tight fitting, you have to swab between every shot. But a fouled bore usally shoots better. Can't win. What I do, is swab every shot. I strive to get accuracy doing it this way. At least I know every shot should be consistent with the bore conditions.

If your a conical or ball shooter this is different.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

T7, I used 777 last time I went to the range, and got distinct hangfires every shot using CCI Magnum No. 11 caps. Had to install a MagSpark nipple and go to 209's to get it to stop. Accuracy was good, though!!
Eldeguello

CCI has some quality control issues periodically. Sounds like a can of bad ones. The last time this happened to me, I switched to the RWS Nobels.... no problems since with my Renegade 58 using a Splitfire nipple.

Never had any problems with regular CCI 209s either. However, I'm going to purchase a box of hot Federals to take upnorth this fall for wet weather ML hunting. I think some of the folks that bought-into the .25 ACP and .22 Hornet conversions may encounter a hang/misfire with 777 or Pyrodex in poor weather also. If it were me, I'd be packing another 209 breechplug in my Possibles Bag or hunting tackle box.