Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Difficulty loading my Omega...WHY???

Old 09-08-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Difficulty loading my Omega...WHY???

I have a new TC 50 Cal. Omega that I took to the range for the first time. I bought some TC 300gr. Mag Express sabots and had some Powerbelt 295 gr. bullets to try out.

Both of these bullets are so hard to get down the barrel, so hard that I have to stand over top of the Omega and push down with extreme force (haven’t broken the ramrod yet…)

From what others were saying these bullets should be a lot easier than others to load. Is there something that I could be doing wrong??? (The PB 295’s work great in my CVA with no problems, but not the Omega)

I did completely disassemble the gun and clean the barrel and the breech plug before doing any shooting.

Are there any others bullets to try that would be easier, as the two above won’t do?

Thanks for reading!
Deer Magnet (Bob)
Old 09-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difficulty loading my Omega...WHY???

What did yu use to get the packing grease out of the barrel?

What did you use to remove the barrel oils & solvents when you stored the rifle after you cleaned it & before you took it to the range?

You need a harsh cleaner to remove the grease. You should use rubbing alcohol to remove storing oils. Failure to do both could lead to a sticky bore that appears to be clean - but remains difficult to load a bullet because the bore is tacky.

If you did all the correct things to ready your rifle, call T/C by phone ( tel# is in your manual). Tell them your bore is too small & they will want you to return the rifle by Fed-Ex. If it's too small, you'll receive a new barrel free of charge.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:39 PM

The 295's load well in your .50 CVA, but not your .50 Omega? Those are the easiest loading bullets there are!

First check your barrel to make dead certain you have a 50 cal (should be stamped on the barrel) as it is possible there was some screw up. If you do, then a call to Thompson is in order.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
You need a harsh cleaner to remove the grease. You should use rubbing alcohol to remove storing oils. Failure to do both could lead to a sticky bore that appears to be clean - but remains difficult to load a bullet because the bore is tacky.
That may be with the sabots, but not the powerbelts. Out of the correct caliber they are absurdly easy to load even in fouled bores. It sounds to me as though his bore is undersize.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:06 PM

Time to dust off the dial calipers at home (I was a machinist a loooong time ago) I will check it out again tonight.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
bigcountry

Thats really strange. Powerbelts are about easiest bullet to load. But if it was really undersized, then it would be hard for you to get the bullet started. Let us know what the dial measuements are.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the bullet part of a powerbelt digs in, there is something seriously wrong. Powerbelts are designed so that only the base engages the rifling when loading. If the rifling leaves anything more that the tiniest of a scratch in the bullet. your bore is undersized.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also suspect something is up with the size of the bore. Of course, while you're measuring, check the bullets as well.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey deer magnet, was wondering what you found, a buddy of mine is having the same problem with his 209X50 encore, i told him that i had seen this post and to check it with some calipers, and he said he couldn't because the gun has the QLA and the calipers wont reach? any other ideas, because he has tried the "bore seasoning" that tc recommends. anyway any help i'll pass it on, he bought the gun used we have done all the cleaning, and i'll tell ya you just about have to stand on the ramrod to seat the bullet, plus he's afraid he's crushing/or damaging his pyrodex pellets/ he says it never loads to the same depth??????[]
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Dominant Buck

If I had scrubbed the bore clean with something like JB Bore Paste, and then still had problems seating a T/C bullet sabot combination, I would be calling Thompson Center Arms. They are really willing to help you with any problem you might have with one of their rifles.

I own a T/C Black Diamond XR and that thing loads like a dream. I can load and shoot up to five T/C Cheapshots or Shockwaves without swabbing if I really want to.

Quick Reply: Difficulty loading my Omega...WHY???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.