Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Difficulty loading my Omega...WHY???

Old 09-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difficulty loading my Omega...WHY???

Take a conical such as a Maxi-ball or a Lee REAL, lube it up good and then run it through your bore. Run it down to just above a normal seating level - then run it back out with the breech plug removed. Slow and careful the whole way. Then measure the narrowest points across the upper band of either bullet (where it is engraved), trying to get a full diameter reading. That will be your land to land. I doubt you'll be able to get anything on groove to groove - but that isn't the major problem anyway.

T/C has a fairly wide tolerance on bores.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:14 PM

I went and bought some Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. It seems to have helped with the powerbelt bullets down the barrel a lot. As for the 300gr. TC Mag Express Sabots, it has helped a little bit. Not as forceful as it was. I shot it yesterday and was able to load the TC Mag Express sabots and get it sighted in. I cleaned after each shot with the bore scrubber until the barrel was clean and dry. It shot well at 50 yards to get it on paper and out at 100 yards it was "dead nuts" in the bullseye I am using 85 gr. of loose 3F Goex for both bullets, while the TC sabot grouped tight and in the center of the target, the Powerbelts shot 6 inches high and 4 inches right from where the TC bullet was at but also in a tight group. I think I'm going to stay with the TC bullet though. I may also pick up some JB Bore paste it give it a go of that as well. Keep us informed of what happens with yours.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

After you scrub the barrel real good with a J.B. Bore Paste, get a bore brush and scrub it again with the bore scrubber. After your done, coat it with a quality oil such as Rem Oil or Birchwood Casey Sheath. Scrubbing the bore with bore paste will open up the metal pores in the barrel and you need a good oil to reseal all of that.

Then before you shoot it next time run a patch with some denatured or isopropyl alcohol on it and remove the oil from the bore. I think you will find it will load excellent then.

DeerMagnut .. nice to hear the rifle is coming around and shooting good for you... I like the T/C sabots much better then the powerbelts for cost and performance....

good luck