Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What to expect using a minimal powder load?

Old 08-28-2004, 03:37 PM

Default What to expect using a minimal powder load?

I was wondering if anyone has tried a 50 grain pellet load (to clarify, I mean a single pellet, NOT 2 or 3 50's) in a .50 with any grain/type of projectile? If so, what was it and what were the results?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2004, 04:19 PM

Default RE: What to expect using a minimal powder load?

It's a good plinking load. Expensive though. Your better off with loose powder.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

you might not want to hunt any large animal with such a load although there are reports of people deer hunting using .50 grains of powder and a roundball... They had to adjust their hunting style some as far as range, etc.

I have a friend who's mother (in her late 70's) likes to shoot rifles. He will often times load his Kentucky .50 caliber with 35 grains of powder and a round ball and she will target shoot with it. Many times people will work up a short charge and squirrel hunt with it or rabbit hunt with it.....

And as suggested.. get some loose powder and save yourself some serious money....
Old 08-28-2004, 05:48 PM

Thanks! Thats pretty much the only thing I planned on doing with a 50 grain load.....plinking that is.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I consider "light loads" to be great for plinking, and basically just getting accustomed to a firearm, building good form, saving money at the range, etc., but I see no reason to hunt with them. Hunting is usually a one-shot proposition and the target may be anywhere from 5 - 150 yds out. I try to find the heaviest load that will produce good accuracy. Then the load will not be a limiting factor in a shot opportunity.

With that said, we all know that the 45/70 was originally a BR cartridge with a standard loading of 70 gr BP and a big lead slug in the range of 400-500 grains. Those loads killed everything in North America just fine.

Hey Muddy - with your 60 gr. charge, would you take a shot longer than 60 yds? How about 75 - 100 yds? If your gun will shoot accurately with 90 - 100 grains, why not go with that for hunting?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:17 PM

Nick buck muddydog...shame on the axxhhhh that stole the horns!
Old 09-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

that rack was stolen..out of our cabin..
a wicked curse to the a$$hat that took it.
I had a nice 11 point rack I used as rattles stolen from me, the funny thing is I saw the guy take it but I couldnt do anything I was in my boat about 150 yards from where my truck was parked, While screaming hey YOU DUMB SON OF A B!TCH MOFO WHAT THE HELL YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING my little 17 lb thrust trolling motor didnt get me there fast enough he stole not only the rack but a fishing rod tackle box full of tackle and a log chain all of which were in my locked tool box that this guy I dont know what he used to get in it but my at the time brand new Delta truck tool box was ruined. By the time I got to my truck this guy was long gone I figured he was a local I never reported the theft to the authorities because of my intentions if I ever found the guy, I was gonna kick his A$$ severly if I ever found him. But I never did find this guy.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot ocassionally in a BP competition here in my town its supposed to be traditional only but they have made a few exceptions because they would never get a very good turn out so they started allowing inlines too. the only catch is you have to shoot a patched round ball. I shoot a 50 caliber inline with a 1 in 28 twist and to keep my patched round ball from stripping the rifling and producing extremely poor accuracy I just a one 50 grain pyrodex pellet . the combination of a patched round ball and one 50 grain pellet produces better accuracy for me out to a 100 yards then any of my sabot or conical loadings. I have done very well and have won a few of the matches, My best groupings were 1 inch at 50 yards and 1 and a half inch at 100 yards. I would not hesitate to use this loading for short range deer hunting either.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:14 AM

I have a 13 year old girl that will be going on a youth hunt this year. Where we hunt she has to use blackpowder. The longest shots will be 50 to 60 yards. I want to get by with the lightest load I can, because I dont want her to be afaraid of the gun. She will be shooting a 50 cal inline. What would be the lightest round as far as powder, and grain of sabot we could get by with.I want this to be a positive experience for her.

Quick Reply: What to expect using a minimal powder load?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.