Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some more advice!

Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need some more advice!

As I have stated in another post, I'm new to MLing, so please bare with a dummy. First off, is there a book or web site I can get info on the powders for muzzle loading, that will explain the differences between each.

One thing I have read from some of the post, is that Triple 7 loads needs to be reduce. Is this to say, that three fifty grain T7 pellets are more powerful than three 50 grain pellets of pyrodex, etc. The instructions that came with my rifle doesn't say anything about this, it just says I can use up to 150 grains. To be honest, I'm hesitate to use 150 of any of them right now because of my ignorance in this area.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Need some more advice!

IMO, there is no need to load 150 grains when 100 will probably do the job and more accurately, unless you're shooting a moose at 200 yds. What kind of gun are you using?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only the loose powder 777 is more powerful (about 15%). Pellets are equal. In other words:
100 grains 777 pellets = 100 grains pyrodex pellets
100 grains 777 powder = 115 grains pyrodex.

You can use 3 pellets of 777 in your gun, but NOT 150 grains of loose powder!

Do a search on using 777 and you will find that most people use loose powder because it is cheaper and easier to customize a load. Most people start at about 85 grains 777 and work up to maybe 110 grains. There is really no reason to go higher in my opinion.

I will be hunting elk this fall with 95 grains 777 and a 405 grain powerbelt. Plenty of power for an elk. As noted earlier, this load is about equivalent to 110 grains of pyrodex.

If you already have pellets, I would start with 100 grains and see what happens. Me, I only shoot loose powder.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Powders vary according to type. They also vary according to grade. You will find most people shoot FFg or FFFg grade. Many people shoot FFFg in .50 caliber rifles and under. FFg grade are shot in .50 caliber and bigger although many of the larger calibers will shoot FFFg. Remember that FFFg is 15% stronger then FFg grade powder.

Pyrodex P (Pistol grade or FFFg grade) is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS (Rifle Shotgun or FFg grade) Triple Se7en FFg grade powder is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS. You also have American Pioneer Powder FFg grade which is as strong as Pyrodex RS. The problem a lot of then find with Pioneer FFg is it is very course in nature. Also there are issues with moisture problems when using it.

Triple Se7en pellets are equal in strength to Pyrodex Pellets in FFg. So you load according to what loads you would normally shoot with Pyrodex.

As stated, 150 grains of powder will usually do you no good in the accuracy department. All too often people are sold on the idea of 150 grain loads and they find that the accuracy goes right out the window. 100 grains usually work better.

If you have an inline, then start out with 80 grains of FFg grade powder and work up in 5 grain amounts until you get nice tight groups. They will normally come together around 100 grains depending on the projectile.

If your shooting a sidelock then start out at 70 grains of FFg and work up in 5 grain amounts until you get tight groups. Many times they will come right in at 70 grains.

Let us know the make of your rifle and what projectile your shooting and we may be able to suggest a better starting point for you. Most powerbelts shoot best with 90-100 grains of FFg powder.

There is also pure black powder and it will work great in any of the rifles you want to shoot....

good luck with your rifle. Any questions just ask. We'd rather have you ask then make a mistake and perhaps hurt yourself or someone else.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:35 AM

dog1: You are talking apples and oranges. You ask about powder difference then mention pellets. Similar animals, but very different in actual use.
3 pyrodex and T-7 pellets are about equal. Loose powder is 'nuther animal.
Here's some GENERAL observations on loose powder.
Pyrodex is roughly equavilent to musket grade Elephant brand black.
Goex is about 5% stronger ( for want of a better word) than Elephant, Scheutzen is about equal to Goex, but alleged to be cleaner burning, Swiss is about 20% stronger than Elephant, much cleaner burning, but is a true SPORTING grade powder, so use 20% LESS AND go up one grain size, T-7 is on par with Swiss in power, but is a differant animal as T-7 is not black powder.
Swiss is a real good coice in small bore muzzle laoders. In larger bores, .50 and up, switch from 2fg Goex or Elephant or T-7 and use 1.5 fg Swiss and cut the load 20%
Old 08-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swiss is a real good coice in small bore muzzle laoders. In larger bores, .50 and up, switch from 2fg Goex or Elephant or T-7 and use 1.5 fg Swiss and cut the load 20%
==============================================

Swiss is on my Spring 2005 calendar for testing. I own sidelocks & inlines ranging from 45 to 58 caliber. I currently use 777 FFF in "EVERY ONE" ... regardless of caliber.

What's wrong with using the same Swiss FFF approach when I conduct my tests? Will a coarser FF provide instant ignition in my 50-58 caliber sidelocks without priming first? I seriously doubt I'll jump all the way down to 1.5.... remember..... I will be using it in all my rifles & I'm only buying one grain size... thanks!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replys and info.

I bought a Traditions Pursuit LT and a friend recommended the T7 pellets.
After a trigger job, I can consistently hit a two inch target at my 100 yard target. using 245 gr power belts with two T7 pellets (100 grn). I also have Horn. XTPs' and can do the same.

Just wanted to be safe. So far, I'm having a ball shooting the rifle, but have my eye on a TC or Knight, leaning towards the TC Omega.

Again thanks to all of you, I've learned more from reading the different post from all of you than you can imagine.

dog1
Old 08-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, if you can hit a 2" circle consistently with that load and rifle, you have no real reason to consider getting another rifle or exploring other loads. If you are deer hunting, you have found as good as it gets! Now that doens't mean you can't get another ML, just that you don't NEED one. Oops, dont' let your wife read that last comment!
Old 08-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knights are great ML's but currently do to issues with USO I urge other hunters to boycott Knight since they support USO ( United States Outfiiters). USO has no belief in hunting as recreation or a Tradition they simply believe hunting is only a business and don't care about the average hunter unless you have deep pockets and can afford to use their outfitter.
Please if you can donnot buy products from these companies listed below they all support USO:

RealTree Camo
Swarovski Optik
Knight Rifles
Crooked Horn Outfitters
PRIMOS HUNTING CALLS
Barnes Bullets
Real Hunting Adventures airs 3 times weekly on The Outdoor Channel.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Knights are great ML's but currently do to issues with USO I urge other hunters to boycott Knight since they support USO ( United States Outfiiters). USO has no belief in hunting as recreation or a Tradition they simply believe hunting is only a business and don't care about the average hunter unless you have deep pockets and can afford to use their outfitter.
Please if you can donnot buy products from these companies listed below they all support USO:

RealTree Camo
Swarovski Optik
Knight Rifles
Crooked Horn Outfitters
PRIMOS HUNTING CALLS
Barnes Bullets
Real Hunting Adventures airs 3 times weekly on The Outdoor Channel.
I believe some of those have dropped their sponsorship. I'd email all of them to see who has and who hasn't. The one's I have read about that posters have recieved emails from saying they were dropping sponsorship are: Barnes Bullets, RealTree Camo, and Crooked Horn Outfitters. LIke I said email all of em to see, but I'm pretty sure I read that on those three.

Quick Reply: Need some more advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.