Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should be at work.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Should be at work.

I was supposed to be in court today as a witness against a drunk who hit my truck. It got ajurned before I had to go. Had the afternoon off, what to do?.....

I took some 410 grain Great Plains bullets from hornady to the range and shot them out of my T/C ThunderHawk, and am alot happier now. They averaged around 2-2 1/2" @ 100 yards. I think this should do the job well. I used 90 grains of Pyrodex RS, and fired at 100 right off the bat. I was zeroed with a saboted 200 grain Nosler. Needless to say, the 410's hit dirt before they got there. I sighted it in then @ 50, and moved my crosshairs about six inches above center then moved out to 100. I might try 100-120 grains next time, but after the season. I head out Sept 27, after Mulies in the Rockies. Then in November, I go after Whitetail on a farm in the foothills. In two weeks, I leave for Prince George for five days, so my times running out to play. Do any of you shoot this heavy of a bullet? If so, what weight of charge are you using? Thanks for the help all.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Should be at work.

I shoot a 460 grain No Excuse Conical in .50 caliber. Out of the Black Diamond XR I shoot 80 grains of Triple Se7en or 80 grains of Goex FFFg. A conical this large produces some terrific barrel pressures. I also figure the weight alone will do the damage when this big boy hits home. When I shoot a 533 grain conical I load 80 grains of Goex FFg and the rifle shoots them well. What ever is on the other end of these is in big trouble...

Nice shooting by the way. Those Hornady Great Plains bullets are a nice projectile...