Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C encore , buy or not ?

Old 08-18-2004, 07:38 AM

Default T/C encore , buy or not ?

Was looking into buying one of these , but wanted to get some feedback from som1 who
actually owns one. Are they made well ? Would prob get the Shotgun barrel and a 7mm
since they are interchangable. So my main question is: is it a quality made firearm ?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: T/C encore , buy or not ?

slugman, to answer your question, yes they're very well made. I have two rifle barrels, a turkey barrel, BP barrel and a couple of pistol barrels. All of the barrels I've shot are very accurate and they're simple to switch out. Be warned, if you buy one, they're very addictive!! Good luck.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:10 PM

I own a 50 cal. BP and I LOVE IT and if you get one you will to they shoot great plus you can change barrels.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

This gun is made for you... If you are going to buy a couple of different barrels, you should definately get it. The only thing I warn against is if you only plan to use it as a ML you should probably go with the Omega.

Another advantage is you only have one trigger to get used to. If you don't like it get it gunsmithed and you will have a great trigger for all your guns/barrels.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 PM

I bought an Encore (50 cal. mz) a year and a half ago and I'm one of the few who has had to return it to T/C for repair. My hinge pin was too small, causing the barrel to wiggle and ultimately, not hold a good pattern. From what I've heard among other owners, this is a bit of a fluke thing so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially if you are able to see the gun before purchasing it.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Just looked at one in the SS version.

I had too literaly talk myself out of buying it. Still tried to talk myself into it though.
Think about it .

One beautiful Rifle to start with.
The darn thing is solid, Through and through.
Dont have to buy anouther rifle., Just buy the barrel you want and the scope for it.
The fit is perf.
SUPER ACCURATE, (out of the box)
and the damn thing was only $ 599.00.

Thats it I think I am going to buy one.

Done went and talked myself onto one. (Just hope I can convince the better half that this is the way to go for NOW).

P.S.
I dont think you could go wroung with it. BUY ,BUY, BUY!!!!!!!

hunter338
Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Fork Horn

I have had a few encores now and currently have a stainless frame and 209x50, 24" 22-250, and 24" 45/70 barrels for it. As a muzzle loader it is the best shooting, most dependable muzzle loader out there. I have a 3-9 scope on my 209x50 barrel and it will shoot 3 shots into 1.5" @ 150 yards with a barnes 250gr Xpander MZ over 2 clearshot pellets. I have used it on a few whitetails and its a devestating combination. The 22-250 barrel is an excellent shooter also. I'm still playing with the 45/70 barrel but its showing quite a bit of promise as a close/moderate range moose hammer.

The only bad thing I can say about the encore is that the factory wood stock is very weak and have a tendency to crack when used with the 209x50 barrels. The crack usually is made by lateral forces that occur while loading the rifle. After a few shots when the sabot is harder to push down the barrel you can cause a split right behind the frame above the narrow part of the buttstock. To get away from that problem I went with the stainless frame and composite stock. I had no problems at all with the composite stock. I recently got a laminated wood stock from boyds gunstocks. The boyds stock is quite a bit thicker than the T/C walnut stocks and hopefully stronger. It probably wouldn't hurt to glass bed it either.

To their credit T/C replaced both stocks that I had crack no questions asked. The T/C is a great value for someone looking for something extremely versitile. I'm planning on getting another barrel in a mid caliber 270-30/06 for use when traveling to the aleutian islands for blacktail deer and carabou. Its nice to be able to take two rifles in your suitcase when traveling to remote locations.

Here is a pic of my encore with the 45/70 barrel on it. I makes a dandy boat gun while floating in moose country. One word of warning, a 350gr FN @ 2200fps is very punishing off the bench with this little puppy. I put a box of shells thru it yesterday and it about beat me to death.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

When I see one of them on the store shelf I head the other way. I can hear that devil calling me all over the store. About drives me nuts. They sure shoulder nice and balance out nice. I have read a lot of good posts about how well they shoot. If I had not bought a T/C Black Diamond XR already, I might have gave into this urge and walked out with one the other day. It was a stainless steel barrel with a laminated stock. Sure was a pretty thing.

If I were a young man starting out, this would be the rifle I would get and stick to. With all the different barrels you can get you could hunt anything there is. I get a kick out of the people that point out you have a single shot. I only tell them it only takes one shot if you do it right....
Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

AMEN to that , unless you are hunting DUCK!!!!

hunter338
Old 09-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clearshot Pellets????

Quick Reply: T/C encore , buy or not ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.