Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C encore , buy or not ?

Old 09-16-2004, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: T/C encore , buy or not ?

Clear shot is one of the "clean" alternatives to pyrodex, kind of like Hodgdon 777 or Clean shot. I misprinted myself, I meant Clean shot. It comes in pellets just like pyrodex and 777 and cleans up with water. Its pretty good stuff, I get 1900fps with the 2 clean shot 50gr pellets and the 250gr Barnes MZ expander. My dad has switched to the Clear shot powder because a local gun store carries it and its a little cheaper. It is made by Goex powders. I would like to try out the Hodgdon 777 because I have always been a big fan of the hodgdon prodcuts.

[link]http://www.cleanshot.com/index.htm[/link]
[link]http://www.powderinc.com/clearshot.htm[/link]
[link]http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven/index.php[/link]
Old 09-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josh

Cleanshot has been out-of-business for two years. I suggest you conduct another fps chrono test on your pellets because you appear to be the only shooter alive still gettting 1900 with two pellets. It's possible that the remaining Clean Shot pellets on our planet perform best in igloo climates like yours... I dunno????

The company that purchased & made a few slight changes to Cleanshot can be found by clicking RIGHT HERE.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

When I tested that load it was my last winter back in michigan. For three shots I got 1875, 1943, and 1926 for an actual average of 1914fps. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. I have noticed that my encore barrel is a lot faster than my dads T/C Black diamod LR barrel with the same powder charge. I know its pretty anal to keep records of all your loads but I had just got a ballistic computer program at the time and went crazy figuring things out. I still have about half a box of the pellets but haven't had a chance to use my 209x50 barrel since moving to alaska two years ago. I'm originally from central michigan. I liked the way clean shot cleaned up.