Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot question

Old 08-09-2004, 11:31 PM

Default Sabot question

I'm new to ML and plan on using the Hornady XTP bullet/sabot combo. Problem is, some of these use 50 cal sabots and 44 cal bullets, while I think I've seen others use 45 cal bullets...I guess both can be used, but is one better than the other? Any comments on the Hornady XTP?

Thanks in advance-
Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sabot question

what I look for more then the caliber of the bullet is the diameter. Are they a .429-.430 or .451-.452 that will determine the sabot you use. Also depending on the brand of your rifle, some sabots fit better then others.

A good all around starting sabot to try in your rifle are the Thompson Center mag express with the XTP bullet. They seem to shoot well and load easy. Also Thompson Center Cheapshots are a real good shooting sabot in most cases. Of course there are Thompson Center Shockwaves in 250 grain and 300 grain. The 250 grain seem most popular. Shockwaves are the same thing as the Hornday SST.

If you want to shoot the Hornady XTP's make sure you get the right sabot. I found that the Harvester Sabots seem to load well in most my rifles as do the Mag Express sabots. Also there are sabots that are for projectile 300 grains and under and then some are for the 300 grain and over. So make sure you look the sabots over and match them to your bullets or your going to have some strange groups and hard loading ahead of you....
Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bullet diameter is the only paper diff. between 44 and 45 cal. The 50 cal sabot allows you to shoot it in a 50 cal diameter bore. Any benifits between the 2, well I guess it boils down to what your bullet/load combo you gun likes to chuck. On the game end it will make little difference if both bullets are equally constructed, however if different construction just like a CF it can have different results. I guess I could have saved tyime and just said no...LOL!!

As far as the XTP it is a good deer bullet and most find it flies good as well. It is the only bullet I have used for the past 5 years to take a total of 8 animals (7 deer and 1 black bear). I have tried numerous but always end back at the xtp come hunting season. I will be trying to get a load firing the same or better with the hornady SST for flatter trajectory and hopefully more expansion which will result in a larger wound channel.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up some and be a good idea to try a different style bullet as well to determine which may be the best for you. Let the rifle do the talking.

Good luck and have a blast!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Some rifles will shoot the 429xtp and some prefer the 452.Just depends on the rifle.I have found out that the 452 shoots better normally,in my rifles I find that the knights and ruger prefer the 452 but the T/C's will shoot the 429 but I have went to the 452 when using the xtp in all of them.The 451-452 just gives less plastic between the bullet and the barrel.If you are shooting 250 grs or less I have had good sucess with all the sabot brands.I think the mmp sabots are the best (they make them for other bullet makers )the long peddle ones with the steps in the bottom are the strongest ones.If you wnt to use these with the shorter xtp(less than 300 grs)you can take and clip off a little of the petals with a nail clipper,if you don't you have to be really carefull pushing them down the barrel if you mess up the sabot pedals which extend past the shorter bullets it will deform the accuracy also.Heat affects the accuracy in a reg muzzleloader so if you are having trouble with grouping let the gun cool down between shots.
I have gone to the sst and shockwaves to hunt with but I practice alot using the xtp's because they are a lot cheaper to shoot.
As cayugad said you have to match the bullet to the sabot,a muzzleloader will shoot tiny little groups @100 yds if you find the right combination it likes,but most of the time it takes a lot of trying different bullets,powder and primers.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the messages guys- I checked the bullet/sabot packs I bought and they don't give specs at all, other than the sabot is 50 cal and the bullet is 240 grains. I bought one pack that was packaged by Hornady, then bought another pack of 30 packaged by Traditions.....it seems like every ML maker has a blister pack of this bullet/sabot combo on the shelf, so I figured if it's that popular I must be starting off in the right direction. I also tried some Powerbelts but didn't get great groups with them- I also ran a bullet/sabot combo down a clean, Natural 1000 lubed barrel and it was VERY difficult to get it down the barrel compared to the Powerbelts...
Old 08-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I missed the make of your muzzleloader. As long as you buy the pre-packaged bullet/sabot combination you will get matching items. The problem with that is some of the load much harder then others do. The only way to find which one works in your rifle is if someone other then you has the same rifle and has tried them, it will give you a starting point. Your still going to have to buy different sabots and try them with different projectiles.....
Old 08-11-2004, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

92Dawg

Hornady, Knight & Barnes bullet packs fit White & Knight Rifles a little better than T/C, CVA, Winchester, Austin/Halleck, Remington, Traditions & a couple more manufacturers. In most cases, using those bullet packs results in difficult loading/seating of the bullet. Unlike centerfires, shotguns, rimfires... etc... muzzleloader bores are not created equal. Some are wider than others.