Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

swabbing 101 question

Old 07-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default swabbing 101 question

when swabbing between shots-should i use a cleanging agent or not? i need this info to sight in a new round of ammo andwanted to do it right this time. thanks
Old 07-23-2004, 11:58 AM

Default RE: swabbing 101 question

Just Lick the Patch, with your Tongue. You are just removing the Heavy Residue, not Cleaning your Barrel. I only use solvents or Cleaners, after the range Session, or Hunt Ends. Good Luck, Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

For working up a hunting load, if you want to be meticulous, you want to replicate the condition your bore will be in on your first shot at game. I hunt with a clean dry bore. My gun is not fussy about the first shot on a clean bore or the 5th shot on a "dirty bore though, so I don't worry about it.

You have to figure out if you will hunt with a clean bore or a fouled (once-shot, or maybe just powder fouled) bore. Then, replicate that condition at the range. You may find you don't get differing point of impact with clean vs. fouled. You may be able to shoot 2, 3, 4, or more times without affecting point of impact. Just have to try it and see.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you're using 100+ grains 777 with a leaded bullet that might leave deposits of lead in the grooves or you're using a cheap copper-clad bullet that leaves copper remnants in the bore after every 2nd shot or-so, you only need water to swab. I use a 50-50 mix of Windex & isoprophyl alcohol in a small spray bottle because it dries twice as fast as water. If you like bore buttered barrels, a real thin layer on a patch can be used. You can buy those prelubed too. I just saw a round glass container by Traditions that contained 100 bore-buttered 2-1/2" patches for $5.99 at Bass Pro Shop.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:24 PM

I've tried swabbing with plain water misted onto a patch, the Windex/alcohol mixture, and Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. My best accuracy has come while swabbing with the Butch's BPBS, dampening a patch and running both sides of it down the barrel. Then I run a dry patch, both sides, and reload. I was able to get a 3 shot group at 100 yds. using 250 gr. Shockwaves that measured .550" CTC while swabbing with the Butch's.
This is the stuff that I have confidence in as of now.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTurkeyTamer

I've tried swabbing with plain water misted onto a patch, the Windex/alcohol mixture, and Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. My best accuracy has come while swabbing with the Butch's BPBS, dampening a patch and running both sides of it down the barrel. Then I run a dry patch, both sides, and reload. I was able to get a 3 shot group at 100 yds. using 250 gr. Shockwaves that measured .550" CTC while swabbing with the Butch's.
This is the stuff that I have confidence in as of now.
Precisely the stuff I use and the routine as well. That's great stuff! When I ordered my Omega I also ordered 3 bottles of it sice I can't find it locally. I'm down to 2 now. I find it's best to already have patches presoaked. I have a little peanut butter jar I use to keep em in. Saves time at the range.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i keep patches soaked in alcohol put in a pill bottle and use those to clean the bore at the range....all i want is the bulk BP residue out...i shoot a flinter..so i kinda have to carry them anyway....i have like 6 pill bottles with stuff in my possibles bag....i carry way more then i need hunting...but my gun will go off when i want it too and is always clean and i have all the things need for repairs and reloads....plus cleaning and keeping dry ect....but at the range i run an alcohol patch then a dry one every few shots.....
Old 07-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you Mauser although I use the Butch's for "at home" cleaning. BP solvents like Butch's contain much harsher chemicals than spit, Windex or alky. I don't want any burning/scorching effect in my bore from the harsher cleaners. In my opinion, keep it real mild for swabbing at the range.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree Triple Se7en... I use Butch's Bore Shine at home. (ran out of Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber and it was all they had at the store) and it seems to work real well. I would not use it swabbing. Too expensive in the first place to waste as a swab lube. Alcohol seems to work real good.

Like Mauser06.. in my possibles I carry plastic flim containers. Each of them is color coated. (Two are gray... the color of the deck paint on the house... get the idea) Each one carries something else such as swabs, powder charges, projectiles, patches, lubes, ... that way when I hunt I have a fanny pack with all the stuff needed to care for the rifle in there plus things to get my fanny pack home should I get lost....

This morning I am experimenting on a new bullet lube. I followed another persons reciepe and did not like the mixture so I want to make something for the conicals I shoot.... it is looking good so far.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Mauser06.. in my possibles I carry plastic flim containers. Each of them is color coated. (Two are gray... the color of the deck paint on the house... get the idea) Each one carries something else such as swabs, powder charges, projectiles, patches, lubes, ... that way when I hunt I have a fanny pack with all the stuff needed to care for the rifle in there plus things to get my fanny pack home should I get lost....

I'm going to use small prescription bottles. They are transparent orange so you can see whats inside. I got a whole load of them from my in-laws,
(they take alot of meds). They have a nice locking cap too.

Quick Reply: swabbing 101 question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.