Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ACP ML Breech Plug

Old 06-19-2004, 12:35 PM

Default ACP ML Breech Plug

I recently purchased an ACP Breech Plug for my 45 Cal CVA Optima (26 inch barrel) ML. It is suppose to tighten your group. It's a modified breech plug that uses a .25 brass with a CCI 400 primer instead of the stock breech plug that uses a 209 shotgun primer. You have to prime them yourself. I found it at prbullet.com. It's suppose to shoot much cleaner with little or no fouling in the breech area. The .25 brass was suppose to stay clean and little or nothing needed to reprime and reuse. I used them for the first time yesterday and my first three bullets (after one foul shot) were touching at 100 yards. I was shoothing a 200 grain Dead Center bullet with 100 grains of 777 loose powder. But the more I shot the wider the group got and .25 primed brass became so corroded that I had to pry each out after every shot. Has anyone else that has used this experienced this also? It seems like the brass (primer) may not be seating properly and allowing to much back pressure to cause this much fouling. I'm not sure.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ACP ML Breech Plug

I never used that kind of set up. In my CVA staghorn to reduce the primer fire I went to a musket cap. It made a big difference in the amount of crud that forms. The nipple was cheap. And the caps are not too expensive and easy to use. Hope someone can help you with your problem....
Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

rick..................

Primers can be nasty critters which can create a lot of fouling........whether smokeless or black powder is being used. You need to keep those cases clean for reliable fit.

If you don't have any reloading equipment (ie a press and a tumbler), you can clean those .25ACP cases by soaking them in Cider Vinegar for 20 to 30 minutes, clean them out with a Q-Tip, and then drop them in clean water to neutralize the vinegar. Let dry and then re-prime & shoot. If you have a reloading press, resize those cases occassionally to make sure they continue to fit into your plug correctly.

If you don't have a press, I would suggest you pick up a Lee Hand Press and a .25ACP resizing die. Togther, those won't cost over $30 and you will Always be able to have reliable primed brass ready to go.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I tried to clean them with a tumbler. After 10 hours they were still fouled so I soaked them in powder solvent, them cleaned them by hand with a Q-Tip. I hadn't heard of using Cider Vinegar before but I will try it and I hadn't considered resizing the brass but that makes sense. I'll have to do that too. Thanks again for taking the time to help.