Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

easiest to clean inlines

Old 06-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default easiest to clean inlines

What inlines are easiest to clean? which are a bear to clean?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: easiest to clean inlines

I have a sidelock in a T/C renegade that is somewhat time consuming to clean. Can only comment about the inline that I bought recently, a T/C Omega. The cleaning is so much easier. Now some of that may be that I switched to 777 when I bought it. Anyway, the Omega is so much easier to clean that I shoot it more often.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

T/C Encore, T/C Omege, NEF Huntsman...or anything with a sealed action and a 1 piece breech plug
Old 06-07-2004, 10:04 PM

my CVA optima pro is easy as pie to clean.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

The Savage 10ML-II might just be the easiest of them all, in that you don't have to clean at all if you don't want to. If you do want to clean it, remove the breech plug, remove the vent liner from the breech plug, and then just run a couple of oily patches down the bore. Re-lube the vent liner and the breech plug and replace them. Re-insert the bolt and tighten the bolt retaining screw. You are done.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a sidelock in a T/C renegade that is somewhat time consuming to clean. Can only comment about the inline that I bought recently, a T/C Omega. The cleaning is so much easier. Now some of that may be that I switched to 777 when I bought it. Anyway, the Omega is so much easier to clean that I shoot it more often.
=============================================

I own the Renegade & Omega! Both take the same amount of time to clean. Cleaning nipple holes, around hammers & power-flushing the bore with soapy water takes the same amount (or) less time than unscrewing breechplugs, cleaning them, anti-seizing them, inserting them, cleaning the Omega hammer/plunger area, cleaning residue from the trigger area and just below the hammer/plunger area.

Similar Omega-type designed rifles are easier than bolt/plunger spring actions, but I still think my trusty ol' percussion sidelocks are easiest... either with 777 powders or crappy ol' Goex.... which incidently -- I'll never buy again. Yuck-Yuck-Yuck... less power/energy & more stink/cleanup.

I'll have to admit though... I didn't mind the smell. I'll give real blackpowder another try before completely giving up on it... as soon as someone here tells me where I can buy some Swiss Blackpowder in the Detroit Michigan area. I'm going to Chicago in mid-August. If someone wants to draw me a map from our Great Western Hotel near Ohio St & Michigan St in downtown Chicago to the nearest Chicago Swiss blackpowder outlet, feel free to do so thru my private email.

Please enter "Swiss Blackpowder" in the topic of discussion -- otherwise I may accidently click the Spam button. Thanks In Advance!

P.S. I'm not interested in buying five tin cans of the Swiss online... thanks anyways in advance if you were giving some thought to entering a reply like that.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en I am in full agreement with you. I can clean my sidelocks as fast as I could ever clean my inlines. Of all the inlines I own, I think my Knight Wolverine is the easiest to clean because the trigger drops out prior to cleaning and the bolt comes out in one piece. That way you are not pushing any crud back into the trigger area.

As for your observations on Goex VS Swiss. Your right again. When I bought my powder I bought a lot of Goex and a little of Swiss. The Swiss is much more powerful and actually I think burns cleaner. I get excellent groups out of the inlines with the Swiss, but my supply of that is going fast. The next order will be all Swiss FFFg. When I shoot the Goex I have to add almost 10% more to get the same things out of it.

I have never cleaned one, but I think the Omega, Optima, Kodiak, Revolution, those types would be the best to clean because you do not have the striker area to scrub. My Black Diamond XR is the worst of the three muzzleloaders I own to clean...[:@]
Old 06-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

None of them are actually all that "easy" if you do a good and thorough job - but some are a lot harder than others. The Huntsman (and likely the Sidekick) as well as the CVA Optima has an area that is basically 'uncleanable' unless you do a complete breakdown of the rifles. That area consists of the firing pin and whatever is behind it. The T/C Omega would probably have to be the "easiest" but it has drawbacks for some (me included). The CVA Kodiak and the Winchester Apex may be equally easy to clean but I have no experience with them. Bolt action muzzleloaders (not plunger action) tend to be the most time-consuming to clean in my experience. The Savage is the likely exception since it uses smokeless - my guess is that - with BP or subs - its cleaning is also time consuming.

My overall preference in the available rifles would be among the break-opens with the T/C varieties leading the pack. But nobody has built me a Ruger#1 muzzy yet. Henry???
Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM

I have to agree w/ 1shot_1 kill. 10MLII is probably the easiest to clean, being that it fires smokeless powder.

Bn'R
Old 06-13-2004, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

My ol Traditions Buckhunter is a pretty easy piece to clean.

Quick Reply: easiest to clean inlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.