Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope choice

Old 05-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Scope choice

It is a great shooter. First group with the first load I tried was 1/2" off a benchrest.

I also have first hand experience with Millett warranty service. My first one had a tight power range adjustment that finally stuck (not really sure why). Millett replaced it free of charge. I recieved my replacement exactly 3 weeks to the day I sent off the first one. That's great service! As soon as I have another rifle needing a scope I'll be looking at another Millett.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 4X Leupold shotgun scopes. If you watch Ebay you can get regular 4X Leupold scopes very reasonably (used).
Old 05-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fisherprice1

I am buying a new scope for my Omega. I like Leupold and was going to put there VXII Shotgun scope in 2-7x33. Should I put a shotgun scope on it or a rifle scope?
Put on it whatever 'floats your boat"!! Either will work. I like a long eye relief, so might favor the shotgun scope.

(In Alaska, we used to have a saying: YOU CAN TELL A CHEECHAKO BY THE SIZE OF HIS KNIFE!! Now we say, you can tell a greenhorn by the size of his scope! You'd have to be loco to think you'd need any magnification of over 2.5X on a muzzleloading HUNTING rifle!!
Old 05-30-2004, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Wolfhound76 nice set up.

As to the scope choice if you can afford the Leupold go for it. I have a 2x4 and a 4 on my inlines by BSA and they work fine. I tried a lot of scopes at the shop and they had the best eye relief and sight picture ( reticle). I like good eye relief. By the way I did try a leupold and it was superior but to pricy. how much scope do you need for a 100 yards?
Old 05-30-2004, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello
you can tell a greenhorn by the size of his scope! You'd have to be loco to think you'd need any magnification of over 2.5X on a muzzleloading HUNTING rifle!!
Actually I prefer a 3-9 or a 2-7 for a muzzleloader. I generally keep em on the lowest setting. The only time I use the higher power is when I'm taking long shots or working up loads. When I'm working up loads I would actually like more power than I have.

Striper Phil,
Thanks. I like those thumbhole stocks.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually I prefer a 3-9 or a 2-7 for a muzzleloader. I generally keep em on the lowest setting. The only time I use the higher power is when I'm taking long shots or working up loads. When I'm working up loads I would actually like more power than I have.
Back in the days when I used to buy variable scopes, I made the "discovery" that when hunting I generally had them set at no more than 4X all the time. So now, I usually buy "old" fixed-power scopes, and use either 4X or 6X models as a rule, with 2.5 - 2.75X versions on my short-range guns. At my age, you'll do nearly anything to keep the weight down!! I used to laugh at the old-timers like Jack O'Connor when they wrote about keeping guns light. In those days I lugged an 11.75 pound Win. M70 Super Grade .375 H&H around the mountains of Alaska. No Longer! I don't laugh at featherweight rifles any more!!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:38 AM

Lol. I understand weight concerns. I add a bipod to my rifles though so trying to save much weight is pointless.