Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond XR Scope Mount

Old 05-19-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Black Diamond XR Scope Mount

I'm mounting a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 on my Black Diamond XR with leupold quick release rings. I bought low rings, to mount the scope I'll have with remove the rear sight. Has anyone else mounted a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 using leupold base and rings?Looks like to mount the scope and keep the rear sight, I'll have to go to high rings.
Any info would be apprecited
Old 05-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black Diamond XR Scope Mount

Being the case... I would remove the rear site and mount the scope the way it is. I have a Black Diamond XR and mounted a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn Shotgun scope on mine. I did not have to remove the sights, but at low power I can see the front sight in the scope. I have been thinking of taking all the sights off. This rifles shoots so accurate with the scope there is no way I would want it any other way.

You have a great rifle there. I have worked up some excellent loads for it. I really like mine.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:49 PM

I have a Black Diamond XR with Leupold QR rings and bases. It has a Leupold 3x9x40 mounted on it. I removed all the sights. The rear sight would have had to be removed anyway to clear the scope. The rear sight holes can be plugged with the screws that you remove from the gun when you mount the bases. I ordered the slave screws from T/C to fill the front sight hole. Looks really good with a slick barrel, just like a centerfire rifle! Here in MO, we can muzzleloader hunt with a scope, so I have no intentions of ever shooting it with open sights anyway.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the input gentlemen, I removed all the sights, does look good with a slick barrel. I hunt two states one allows scopes and one does not. Guess I'll just have to make a trip to Basspro again, need another rilfe anyway.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you've taken the sights off, I guess you don't need QR rings, unless it helps for cleaing. Not that there's anything wrong with them.

How do those sights come off? Are they mounted with screws or do they need to be drifted in a dovetail slot? If they are mounted with screws, you could just sight the gun in with the irons, mark the rear sight if needed to have a reference point, take the sights off, and then use the gun scoped in one state and then throw the irons back on to hunt in the other state. A shot or two would be all you'd need to be sure your sights are "on".

Or as you say, there's always the option of buying another rifle.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:21 PM

UncleNorby,
The XR's sights are held in place with screws, very easy to remove and install. And yes, the QR mounts make cleaning the XR MUCH easier by being able to remove the scope and set it aside. Makes for a very nice setup!
Old 05-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Have any of you had a problem with the ramrod sliding out of its place all the time if you lower the barrel? Since I bought the rifle this ramrod never did stay where it belonged. I am wondering if there is something missing in my composite stock that keeps tension on the thing. When it is loose like this it makes a lot of noise also when you walk around with it.

I think I might take the sights off my rifle also. I never intend to use the rifle without a scope, so I see no reason to leave them on the rifle and risk them to damage in the woods. So your saying all you do is take the screws out, pull the sight and then put the screws back into place in the holes?

The ramrod is the real pain....[:@]
Old 05-23-2004, 06:35 PM

Cayugad,
When you mounted scope bases on your X/R, you removed 4 filler screws in the receiver. You will need (2) of these to fill the holes left when you remove the rear sight. When you remove the front sight, you will be left with one hole to fill, and the previously mentioned filler screws won't work on the front one. You will need to order some of these. You can get them from Midway or directly from T/C. They come packed (2) to a pkg., but you will use only (1) of them. This is all you will need to remove the open sights and fill the existing holes.

I have never noticed my ramrod on my X/R coming out of its place except when shooting the gun, then the ramrod is about 1-2" out past the end of the barrel after each shot. I would think T/C would design them to fit tighter so as not to come loose. Don't know if there is a fix or not, maybe somebody else can help us on this. Good luck!