Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight shotgun

Old 04-27-2004, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default knight shotgun

A friend has a knight muzzleloading shot gun and wants to know if anyone has tried shooting sabot slugs or slugs in one.Told him to write knight and see what they say.I hve no idea where to get slugs or sabots to try them.
I don't have one but I would think that they have a smooth barrel without any twist,and they are the same dia.as a reg 12 guage.I do know that the old pumkin ball shot in a reg 12 have taken deer though so it should work.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: knight shotgun

My only concern would be the choke. Many of the black powder shotguns unlike an actual smoothbore are choked. I am not sure if it would or could damamge the choke by shooting a patched round ball out of the barrel.

I have a Green Mountain .62 caliber smoothie (20 gauge) and after dropping a nitro card on the powder charge, I push down a .600 round ball with a thick cotton patch and have gotten some good accuracy out to 30 yards so far. I just got this barrel and have not had time to play with it a lot because I am working up a turkey load...
Old 04-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: knight shotgun

Thanks for the info,I think I found what he is looking for at the gun shop the other day,found a box of 12 ga sabots made by nosler.
He can get different chokes from knight so if they shoot good he should be ready to go.
When he gets them and trys em I will post his results in case anyone else is interested.