Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Newbie in Virginia

Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Black Powder Newbie in Virginia

After 10 years living overseas and missing the annual deer hunts out West (where I'm from), I will transfer to northern VA this summer. I plan to make up for lost time stalking deer. I've never hunted black powder, but am anxious to get started this season. Can anyone give me any advice on black powder hunting in Virginia? Or on getting started in this type of hunting in general?

Checking out the literature, I am leaning toward a simple, inexpensive side-lock, like the Deerstalker or the Deerslayer (Lyman and Traditions), in .54 caliber. I want to keep it as simple, inexpensive and "traditional" as possible, while doing what I can to ensure power and accuracy for a quick kill. I'd like to use modern, open sights (no scopes); side-lock ignition for a more traditional feel, and a shorter, lighter rifle for carrying convenience and cost-savings. I might try a modern in-line in the future, but for now, I would like to see if I can bag a deer with a basic muzzleloader.

Any thoughts to help get me and my two teenage sons started in muzzleloading and Virginia deer hunting would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Newbie in Virginia

I personally think it is a wise move to start traditional. You learn a lot about the way the rifles shoot and the little things it takes to keep them working. The Lyman Deerstalker is a nice little rifle. I personally would go after the Trade Rifle of the Great Plains Hunter. The Trade Rifle will shoot roundball and conical. In the .54 caliber it will take anything you might want to face off with.

If your really don't want to get too much invested at first in this sport seeing how you want to get your kids shooting also, look at a CVA Bobcat at the local Wal Mart or Bass Pro Shop. They can be bought for about $60.00 in .50 caliber which is plenty of power for deer. They are accurate light weight fun rifles to shoot. I bought mine in .54 caliber but you never see them anymore in that caliber. It is a deer stopping machine.

You might also want to look into shooting clubs in your area and see if the have a group that shoots black powder. That is the best way to learn the sport.

Good luck and good shooting....
Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if they still produce them, but I love my T/C renegade in 54 caliber. I have killed 2 elk with it. I like a rear peep sight and a front fiberoptic bead. I could shoot 4" groups at 100 yards with this set up and 405 gr powerbelts.

Power to you for staying traditional/open sight. It makes it all that much sweeter when you connect!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:08 PM

cayugad:
Thanks for the great advice and encouragement. I'll look into the Trade Rifle. Who makes it? Does it have decent open sights? To ensure accuracy, I was thinking that a more modern bead sight might be better than the old blade stlye front sight--any thoughts? Do you notice a significant difference in accuracy between the round ball and the conical? What is the rifling twist on such a rifle? I understand the the round ball shoots more accurately with a looser twist, while the conicals like a tighter twist. Have you ever killed a deer with a ball? I am intrigued by the ball for its traditional qualities, not to mention its cheaper price. My only concern is with accuracy and power (since balls are generally lighter weight than conicals); while keeping as traditional as possible, at the same time I want to ensure a clean quick kill--especially since this will be my first black powder hunt.

I have seen the Panther advertised and will certainly take a look at it for my boys. Seems like a person can't go wrong with a $60.00 deer killer.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:16 PM

txhunter58:
I'll look into the T/C Renegade. Does it come with the peep sight set-up you mentioned right out of the box? Or is that an aftermarket addition?

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:09 PM

http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe....tcarms.com%2F
they do make the renegade and t/c custom shop has a custom renegade in 58 cal. for $399.00.The rear peep is an add on ,hope the link helps
Old 04-08-2004, 06:38 AM

Hey Welcome,

I have the Traditions Deerhunter, synthetic stock. It's very light, good flintlock, but only had problem with the sights which I changed to True-glo and I love them. I would prefer the wooden stock now but I realy like the gun as is. It's an excellent way to start muzzleloading. Also, I was originally shooting round ball but now have switched to the Powerbelt 295 grain bullets with 80 grain or Triple 7. Very easy to load and devasting to deer, but a little more expensive.

Tom
Old 04-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check under the black powder rifles at http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

Then you might want to check pricing at https://www.dnrsports.net/miva/merch...zzleloaderslym or at Midsouth.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my peep for the T/C renegade from Cabelas. It screws on to the tang behind the breech. It comes with a small hole which I don't like for hunting. I drilled out the hole bigger. However in low light, you can screw out the actual peep and use the "ghost ring" left as a big rear peep. I can't tell much difference in accuracy when you use the really big ring.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:02 PM

Tomster:
What are your thoughts on percussion vs flintlock? Seems to me that flintlock would take some getting use to for a black powder beginner like me. The ignition is slower and less precise. Also, seems like there is a lot more that can go wrong in the field, especially in the wet weather.

On the other hand, flintlock could increase the "challenge" factor and provide for fairer chase.

Quick Reply: Black Powder Newbie in Virginia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.