Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Newbie in Virginia

Old 04-14-2004, 05:25 AM

Default RE: Black Powder Newbie in Virginia

Silly question, but gotta ask: What do black powder hunters in VA usually wear? Blaze orange? Camo? Do the regs require Orange during MZ season?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blaze orange is only required during the general firearms deer season. You are not required to wear it during the special muzzleloader only seasons. However, I usually wear a blaze orange hat to and from my stand. Once I am settled in my tree stand I will hang the orange cap in the tree and put on a camo hat.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blaze Orange is a must in Michigan!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:38 AM

I've never hunted on a tree stand, though I understand they are popular now. Can anyone recommend a good, safe, portable stand. Seems like a stand would be a rather heavy and bulky item to carry into the woods.

Also, what pattern of camo is most popular in VA?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:08 AM

GB,

Tree Stand Hunting is very nice since it puts you above the deer and when you shoot, generally when the bullet passes through the deer, it's next stop is the ground. Anyway, there are several types of tree stands, they are fixed, climbing, ladder, plus home built, usually from wood.

I myself built a home built on a hemlock, on my property. I put in carpeting to soften sound and it has burlap cameo for sides and see through camo above that with some holes for shooting. The spot I put it in sees deer every year, in a funnel area with some natural food source nearby, Apple Tree. I have wooden ladder steps which are also carpeted to prevent slipage.

I have a friend that uses a climber and I have also heard from others that this type is easier to move when you use different locations, and he uses it during Archery. Using one location all the time is not always the best approach to hunting due to scent and other issues.

I know guys with fixed stands, which usually less cost than the ladders, but you have to use a ladder and climb into it. Cabela's has some nice pictures on their website.

I also have an Outhouse camo tent/blind that I use to give me more versitility and can be setup in a few minutes. I find blinds give you more options than tree stands and I so use both. The land you have to hunt on and the type of hunting you plan on doing should drive what you need. I started out with one gun and that was it. Now I have many guns, several tree stands to use, 2 camo blinds, 3 D leafy camo pants and shirt, white outfit for the snow, orange vest and hats, other camo clothes, scents, scent eliminators, and it goes on and on....

Something to consider....

T
Old 04-22-2004, 07:32 PM

i agree with tomster the tradition deerhunter is a great muzzleloader to start with i have the same but with wood stock it was hard to get use to but.when i learned to shoot it with spark right beside my eye. the other thing that was hard to get use was that triger pull on it.

i would recomend the flintlock because u have to be with in 50 yards of your animal to make a good shoot on them.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:43 AM

I think I might try both flint and percussion. Reading posts on this forum have sparked my interest in flint. It certainly would be more traditional and would add an extra element of challenge, and, therefore, fair chase.

What is Saskatchewan (hope I spelled that right) like for deer hunting? Don't you get some pretty long-range shots up there?