Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Custom Barrels

Old 03-03-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Custom Barrels

I am about go off half cocked and building another rifle, and would like to buy a GOOD barrel for this one, I have 3 guns, 2 custom built and 1 dropin replacment that have Green Mountain junk on them. Does anyone know who manufactures a truley ACCURATE
muzzle loader barrel.
Just in case you couldnt tell I haven't had good luck with G.M. barrels
Old 03-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Custom Barrels

There are some good barrels you can check out through Track of the Wolf. They are expensive but are all top quality. They carry Goodoien and Colerain besides Green Mountain Barrels.

I am curious, I just ordered a Green Mountain .58 caliber with 1:70 twist. I have not gotten it yet, but I have shot other people's rifles that had Green Mountain Barrels and they shot excellent. I wonder why you have such a dislike for them. From your post I am guessing that you have more then one. What did you find wrong with them?

thanks...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know why you don't like the Green Mtn. barrels. I can't afford a custom rifle. But if I ever did, it would be a Pennsylvania long rifle. The GM Barrels I have for my Lyman and T/C flintlocks are extremely accurate.
One of our favorite "games" are sticking the handles of plastic soup spoons into the corregations of boxes and picking them off at about 50 yds. or so.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:04 PM

I can't explain why but none of my G.M. give me exceptable accuracy. I have also had 2 knight rifles with G.M's that shot bad. Now I know what you are thinking, this guy just can't shoot, but I have no problem shooting 1" to 1 1/8" with my factory Encore and my Knight Big Horn, and sub MOA with my centerfires.
Maybe I am just expecting too much from a muzzle loader. What doe's everyone else consider accurate in a front stuffer?
I need another front loader like I need a hole in the head, I only have 6
Old 03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you need to work up a load for you rifle.