Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking to get into Blackpowder.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Looking to get into Blackpowder.

I'm looking to get into Blackpowder and have some questions. What is the best gun to go with for around 300? I was looking at the CVA Optima., is there any other suggestions for a gun? What will be more effective, especially for longer range shots .45 or .50. Is barrel length an issue for range shots? What is better, pellet pyrodex or straight powder? What are the advantages and disadvantages between shooting a sabot with ballistics or just a regular ball? Is there anything I'm missing?

Sorry for the huge amount of questions, but if I do this I want to make surfe I do this right.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Looking to get into Blackpowder.

By long range, are you talking 100, 200yards, or more in distance? Are you looking for any specific style of rifle, such as the optima or would the other in-lines be acceptable? As for caliber the .45 caliber might give you a flatter shooting advantage, but that means a lighter bullet. The .50 caliber can be loaded down to a .45 caliber bullet. If your looking at shooting powerbelts at extreme ranges then the .45 caliber might be an advantage. There are a lot of factors that come into play. The best thing you can do is look at some of the different rifles out there on the market.

I have a T/C Black Diamond XR (means extended range) it is a long distance shooting rifle. They are on sale for $200.00 and with it you get the T/C warranty and quality. There are also some Knights on sale, and well as CVA's. Nothing wrong with a CVA.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My friend took his new CVA hunterbolt out and shot it side by side with my new Omega. No difference in accuracy between the 2 guns. (his $139, mine $400). The biggest advantage of the Omega that I see is the waterproofness of the primer and I didn't have a bolt to clean.

Is the CVA optima breakopen action supposed to have a waterproof breech too? If it does, it should be a good choice. However, the T/C warranty/service seem to be really good too, and that is worth a lot if something goes wrong. Don't think you could go too wrong with either gun. I have heard good things about the black diamond too.

Can't help you much with the 45 cal vs. 50 cal debate. Don't think it really matters too much for deer sized animals, either will be accurate and both have MORE than enough killing power and range. However, if you think you may ever hunt elk sized critters, I would recommend getting the 50. In some states that is the smallest caliber they allow for elk. And regardless of the fact that you can find charts that say that the 45 cal has more foot lbs of energy, you have to remember that big slow bullets don't show well with ft lbs calculations. To compare "killing power" of black powder rifles check out this link about the "Taylor" Index: http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July02.htm

I like loose powder best because it is cheaper, legal in every state, and you can customize a load to your gun. For instance, your new gun may not shoot 100 grains well, but it might shoot 85, 90, or 105gr much more accurately. Research some of the older threads about working up a load.

Just a suggestion to think about. Even if it is legal to use a scope in your area, consider not using one, at least for the first year. This limits your shots to about 100 yards. You will enjoy it as the primative weapon it was designed after. It will make you a better hunter.

Good hunting and welcome to the great world of blackpowder hunting!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Dominant Buck

texashunter58 has some valid points. I think the break open action on the Omega, Optima, Beartooth Magnum, and some of the new ones coming out, are sure a nice feature. I have the Black Diamond like I said and a CVA Staghorn. Both of them are great shooters. But if you like the style of the Optima Pro that would be a good long range rifle. I personally would get the .50 caliber. You can always load them down.

A lot of your range will have to do with the projectile you select. For that I would go to Precision Bullet and check out their Dead Center Sabots or QT40's. I think that is one good long range bullet. I shot some of their Silver Lightening 300 grain and the group they shot was outstanding. It is the cost of them that makes you kind of look hard at them....
Old 03-02-2004, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

If you are wanting long range I would suggest the savage,you can shoot smokless or black powder subs in it.
You might get a deal on the regular trigger models now since the new ones have the accu-trigger.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot a CVA Optima Pro in .50 cal with 100 gr of Pyrodex (2 - 50 gr pellets) behind a 245 gr Powerbelt HP. It shoots great and although it will handle 150 grains, I talked with a tech rep at CVA and he said 100 is all you need. The .45 will give you a bit flatter traj. and it seems that what the "experts" on TV are using with the Powerbelts.
But I'm just a bit fond of the .50. Maybe from a nostalgic standpoint. My flintlocks or Optima have yet to let me down. And I do like the break open action on it. And the price is right. I put a 3 - 9X scope on it just because I had it laying around. But a straight 4X would probably be pleanty as you shouldn't be shooting at game over 150 yds.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:28 PM

If all you are going to hunt is deer, I would get the .45cal. Looks like it has a slight velocity adgantage, which equals less arc in the trajectory and less wind drift. If you are thinking that you may go after bigger game, then you need the bigger bullet that the .50 can throw.

I like the loose powder, you can adjust the charge weight to anything you want. I also like that it will fill the breech plug when you load it, so there isn't a gap between the percussion cap and the powder.

That said, if I was going to get a new gun I would probably get the Optima in .45cal and put a nice 3-9x scope on it. A friend just got one from Wal-mart for $200 (OK $199.95), then he put a Simmons 3-9x scope on it, and the whole works was just under $300. Then I would get together some different bullet/sabots and test them to see what shoots best.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of the Knights or T/C's are good.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:43 PM

not a pro in the area but youll be glad u got into it
Old 03-13-2004, 04:27 AM

I would get the .50 cal., more to choose from as far as bullets/sabots go. You can load smaller bullets and get sabots to fit, I would also recommend loose powder over pellets, not only cheaper but you can also refine your load better.
The plus side of the Optima is that you can always get a .45 cal barrel later, if you want.

Quick Reply: Looking to get into Blackpowder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.