Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Suggestions please...

Old 02-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suggestions please...

Well yesterday was Valentines Day, took my girl out for dinner and when we got home she said she had a surprise for me. Not that kind of surprise, but she reaches into the closet and pulls out a CVA Staghorn inline kit, she knew I was considering buying an inline so this was like cool. This is my first ML, anyway what are some of your preferences in bullets/weight/style etc. I plan on using pellets exlusively so do you all prefer Pyrodex or 777 and charge weight for your preferred bullet. I will be hunting primarily PA/NJ for deer and possibly turkey. Thanks, Rick
Old 02-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Suggestions please...

thndrchicken nice snag(I am am refering to the girl obviously).

If you plan on using pellets save your dimes and buy pyrodex pellets, the 777 is downloaded from the factory and other than a bit easier to clean it offers very real hunting benefits to use the 777 pellets. I tried them last fall and while they worked the gain was not worth the extra(pellets). I did however find the loose 777 to provide benefits, just couldn't get a load I was was happy with before season opened. I have used 100gr pellets with 240gr Hornady XTP's, it has been both accurate and deadly on game. I have tinkered with many load combos but the XTP has always found its way jammed down the the throat of the ML come opening day! I will tell you there is no magic load for everyone, one must find the sweet spot for his or her ML(T&E are the only way). 100gr is a good rule of thumb with pyrodex pellets though, you just need to find a bullet it likes to chuck.

Have fun blasting smoke with your new toy!!
Old 02-15-2004, 02:04 PM

thndrchiken I have a eclipse mag 1 in 28 twist and I found pyrodex select to work the best 110 grains of powder an a percision sabot QT 40 in 235 grain . I also favor the percision silver lighting green tip sabot .
My eclipse for some reason will not shoot power belts I have tried them ,will all ways pick up a flyer in a 3 shot groupe.
Good luck with your new toy lots of fun shooting B/P
Old 02-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a Staghorn and I never use pellets. Pellets are too expensive and you can not custom your charge. Your rifle might be different but mine has a magic number... 90 grains.

If you drop 90 grains of Pyrodex RS in it, and then a 348 grain aero tip powerbelt this thing is deadly even out to 100 yards with the open sights. Some other loads it really likes are, 90 grain of RS and 300 grain Hornady XTP's in a harvester high pressure sabot. 90 grains of RS and a 250 grain T/C Shockwave or 240 grain lead Cheapshot are also real accurate.

I have a target load of 85 grains of Triple Se7en and a .45 caliber .452 diameter pure lead 200 grain SWC bullet. These bullets shoot fantastic. I would even consider them for hunting if they were a little bigger.

I have also been shooting some 320 grain .50 caliber LEE R.E.A.L. conicals with 85 grains of Triple Se7en which are real accurate. I have been playing with a 360 grain Hunting Minnie and 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. The accuracy could be better, but they are minnies and will take a little work. I am going to try paper wrapping them and see if they get a better group. I really like the rifle. I think you will too.